Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tom_in_orl, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Well I just pulled the trigger and I figured I would write a little story it as it unfolds.

This week Orlgheenoer came over with his D40x and I was impressed with the photos. Best Buy had the D40 version on sale for $549 but my brother is a professional photographer and had told me to check out B&H before buying. Sure enough you could get it there for $499 new and $394 for a factory refurb. To me these are prices comparable with previous point and shoot cameras I have purchased. I went with the factory refurb figuring that I would rather invest in some additional high quality lenses down the road.

I found a pretty cool site for research. www.kenrockwell.com. Good reviews and info are here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

The Megapixel Myth
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I am excited to get my camera. It should be here in time for next weekends trip to Everglades National Park!

2. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

this is also a good camera review site

www.dpreview.com

b&H is a great site. I have bought several things from them.

3. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

And where the hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll did Tanner get the money to buy a camera like that??????????

4. tom_in_orl

Gift from the parents. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

5. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

Started playing with the BIG lens....
    [​IMG]
    moms new ride
    [​IMG]
    mid air
    [​IMG]

6. tom_in_orl

The first photo is outstanding. Great close up and a very warm feel. You might have some talent bud!

7. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

8. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

agreed.

9. KOBY

KOBY Well-Known Member

Very Nice photo.............I use the D70s nightly for the past 2 yrs...its even been run over once.......great Cameras dey r...... :cool:

now get the speedlight sb-800 flash + then do a few weddings = any fishing gear u want........... ;)

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Temporarily Boatless

I am guessing they make a waterproof housing for the D-40?

I am interested!

L.R. :cool:

11. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

nope, i wish they did though, my dad took a 3hr class on how to use his d40 and came home and said, "Just need to keep it on auto" but if you take the time to learn how to use it, you can produce some amazing photos. Not to long ago someone on the fs forum sold a 800m lense for 800 bucks which was a steal. Tom you know now you'll have to have a section just for photos, we'll have to see who can take the best pic now ;)

12. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

Tom, did you compare the nikon slr to the sony by any chance. I've read that the sony slr's have a built in stablizer where as for the nikons you have to buy the lenses that have the built in stablizers (which cost more than regular lenses)

13. tom_in_orl

I grew up shooting 35mm Nikon SLRs. So I have a few lenses and filters laying around. For me it was between the Cannon and Nikon. I decided the D40 was a decent camera at a very inexpensive price. Good for me to get started again. If I get serious about my photography I might look at both again for an upgrade.

14. tom_in_orl

Thought I would share some photos from last weekend's trip to Everglades National Park with the Gheenoe Army. So far I am fairly pleased with my inexpesive Nikon D40 Digital SLR. The auto focus feature has taken some getting use to and I still get a small percentage of my shots that are out of focus. Some of this is due to the way that I shoot photos. They are usually on the move and quick. If I took more time to set up my shots it would not be a problem. Color saturation has been better than my point and shoot cameras but not up to the quality that I would like. I guess its time to read the directions before I do too much complaining though.

Other things to note. I am shooting RAW format (not JPEG). I also use UFRAW to edit RAW formated images in WinXP.

Here they are......

[​IMG]

Deerfly

[​IMG]

Huge Sea Turtle

[​IMG]

Sunset

[​IMG]

My daughter

[​IMG]

15. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

Cool photos, Tom.

Overall are you pleased with the decision to go with factory refurb over new?

16. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Been thinking of getting the D60 very compact and light. Just not sure about the amout of use it would get.

17. tom_in_orl

Yes but I have not made it past the 3 month warranty. The camera itself was like new. I could not tell any difference other than the paperwork in the box.

18. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Great info... Going to keep Shooting with the F4 and Sony MVC CD500 and the plethra of other bodies and lenses until I can somehow wrangle a D3 Gotta check the O-Rings on the Nikonos and then I can shoot from the Gheenoe with NO worries ...

Great forum :) Gotta Love It ! Dave

Pilot of the "Sofa King" Sea and Air

19. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

Over the years I've found that the actual waterproofness of the camera was less of an issue than the moisture that gets in the body from swapping lenses while out on the water. The external splash or two, rain and spray when running etc I can manage, its those devious microscopic water and salt particles that invisibly creep inside when you disengage the lens. Most weekend warriors, myself included can't afford a separate body for each lens. :)

20. tom_in_orl

Recieved this in a PM. Replying in this thread since others may be interested.

Hey,

So lets see where did I leave off? Did you get a chance to check out that site? (see begining of thread) Basically what he is saying is that the D40 is the best price point for the price concious photographer. It will take good pictures. If money is not an issue then get the D300 body. Thats what Apollobeachsam has. I tend to agree with his assessment. Sam is able to do more artistic stuff with his pictures but mine meet my needs.

The D40 with 18-55 lens outfit I bought was $399 at B&H photo online. It was some sort of special because its back up to $480 now. The deal they have on the D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm & 55-200 VR Lenses for $610. The problem with the 2 lens set up is that you will get annoyed with changing lenses. If you can find the body alone or feel like upgrading lenses later then IMHO the ultimate single lens is the Zoom Super Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II Autofocus Lens for $650

All of the digital SLR cameras accept filters. Infact I was able to re-use my old Nikon film camera filters with no problem.