Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a thread a long time ago I decided that I was going to go with red for the interior LED lights on my skiff. Well I've been reading more and more articles about how the standard of red for night vision is flawed, and more guys (pilots, military, long distance sailers.....) are switching to blue or green.

So I bought a few red LED's a while back, but now I'm rethinking it.

Another issue I thought of is the aesthetics of my skiff. Function follows form of coarse, but I also don't want it to be too busy. So I'll have green transom lights (best for fishing), then red interior lights, then a blue live well light, plus the anchor light. it seems really busy to me, lol.

So, I'm now thinking about going with green interior lights to match the transom lights. Or should I stick with red. Thoughts?

I posted a few articles below hitting on this.

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

http://www.astromax.org/activities/members/kniffen.htm

https://www.itstactical.com/intelli...g-the-dark-how-to-preserve-your-night-vision/

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think you are overthinking it. I never run with the cabin lights on as it blinds me. Fewer lights the better. My 0.02.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have blue lights on my skiff and I would say they are about equal for night blindness... Just make sure you don't have the lights on any lightly colored surfaces

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
I have done a lot of running at night...I mean a lot......
1.nav. lights only
2.miscellaneous lights.....gauges.......... red colors

night vision is very important so do not ruin it

now.......stationary, I like the light blue which takes a lot of the glare out compared to white but stays bright enough to take care of business

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should be more specific. These are going mostly under the gunnels, and I don't think I'll be running with them on. They are more for when we stop and start to fish. I may run with the green transom lights on, cause that's just cool, lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
The average Joe fisherman will not notice and difference between red and green with regards to night vision. Just go with what you like. It only matters to pilots and special operators.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be advised that it's illegal to run with a green light on your transom (assuming it's visible outside the vessel).
I've already vetted this with FWC. As long as they are submerged they are legal.

There is also a myth about blue lights in your interior are illegal. It's only illegal if they are flashing/strobes.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
724 Posts
I’d do green with blue maybe. Much more chill. Red liable to piss you off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have both green and red under gunnel lights on my current boat. Green for looking cool at the dock and red for actually being able to see. I've also had blue and white on previous boats. For me, the green is by far the worst for night vision...no way I would run or fish with it on. The red has been the best and still allows me to see the channel markers or fish on the dock lights. Blue and white are somewhat in the middle of the road for blindness.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I am colorblind (severe red green problem), so I would go blue If I put some in my ride. I suck at navigating at night. Never have like it.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been reading that blue green is the best as long as it's not direct bright light. I think they mean blue green, not either blue or green So my skiff is light blue, if I install green it might pick up some of the blue hues.
Or I'll just stick with red, but I guess while red is good for overall night vision green is bether for detail. I'll mostly use it to help me tie Knotts and rigs, so maybe the green is still better.

I hate grey zones. I wish there was a definite answer.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts