Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I noticed an oyster cut about 15’ from the end of the weight forward, floating line on my 9 weight. Is it ok to cut it back to that point and re-tie my leader, or should I scrap it and re-spool? Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Describe the nick. 15’ from the end should be in the heart of the thickest part of the fly line and the line’s core could be unaffected.

If you have some UV cure like loon or solarez, you might try to smooth over the nick. I’ve done that with fly line that has a big gash just below the welded loop.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
Don't cut it off. 15' from the end is right in the middle of the head of the line. If you don't have the UV resin, you can use a tiny drop of super glue to smooth it out. Best idea is to just get a new line and recycle your old one with either Monic or send to Flyvines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have some heat shrink and a heat gun, you might be able to repair it. Similar to welding loop ends. That is if the core is not compromised.
Heat shrink will extend the life of a nicked flyline,,,, I have done this successfully,,, just be careful not to over heat the actual fly line as overheating could "curl" the line.

G

·
This weekend I noticed an oyster cut about 15’ from the end of the weight forward, floating line on my 9 weight. Is it ok to cut it back to that point and re-tie my leader, or should I scrap it and re-spool? Thanks, Steve.
When you say "end",
is this 15' from the front end or back end closest to the backing?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Before trying any repair... let's make sure you haven't nicked the core of that fly line (the part with the actual strength...). Take two turns of the fly line wrapped around each hand- maybe three inches on each side of the nick... then pull slowly across your chest until your hands hurt to verify that the core is still okay... If it is then all you're dealing with is the coating and you might get long service if you can protect that coating with heat shrink or an Aqua Seal type repair.... The core on most fly lines should be 30lb test and you should never be able to break it with your bare hands... If the core is compromised it will break in your hands... and no matter how well you repair the coating - that line will break with a good fish on... This is another of those "ask me how I know deals" - and the reason that to this day Monic lines aren't on my skiff....

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. Opportunities on fish are too tough to come by. I replaced the line. Thanks to you all for the advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 10 wt line got into the vacuum cleaner. It had 2 bad gashes but the core looked ok. I used super glue. a few months later, I landed (to the boat) a 5 foot lemon shark that had me way into my backing. I now store my rods/reels on the wall. Wife won’t let me stop vacuuming!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts