Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wonder how many trips that trailer will hang in there getting dipped in the saltwater?

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a home build. Probably wanted to run it some before buying a trailer. My buddy said he’s seen him a few times launching and he dunks the trailer just like it was made for it! Bwahaha
Yeah I grew up poor and we had a wooden hay trailer for our flat bottom boat but we caught a lot of fish and were happy as could be! I still have the boat and refreshed it a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Looks like a home build. Probably wanted to run it some before buying a trailer. My buddy said he’s seen him a few times launching and he dunks the trailer just like it was made for it! Bwahaha
Yeah I grew up poor and we had a wooden hay trailer for our flat bottom boat but we caught a lot of fish and were happy as could be! I still have the boat and refreshed it a few years ago.
I’ve seen a few flat bottom boats launched from trailers like this in the local bayou. Never in salt though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
They may want to start looking for another trailer to put hay on. That one ain't gonna last very long in saltwater. Nice job on the boat especially if they did the aluminum platforms.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I converted a 16’ utility trailer to haul two SoloSkiffs to the Keys with lockable storage below them in 2018. No need to dunk it. Quickie job with free scrap metal, but it got us there and back. I’ve used it since in Matagorda. I can’t post photographs, but Mac has a pic of it. Maybe he’ll post it here.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I converted a 16’ utility trailer to haul two SoloSkiffs to the Keys with lockable storage below them in 2018. No need to dunk it. Quickie job with free scrap metal, but it got us there and back. I’ve used it since in Matagorda. I can’t post photographs, but Mac has a pic of it. Maybe he’ll post it here.
A514A988-CD36-4401-9F93-2FC1BB3BB99C.jpeg 0C34BC3E-AEE1-4D05-B940-34F89B102758.jpeg 6692D588-60E8-4F85-BB9D-98B2D236FCBB.jpeg

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks; LOL. It was the only way we could afford to go. 2800 miles round trip; couldn’t take two vehicles and couldn’t tow tandem. The only thing I had to buy was the winches and locks.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,182 Posts
That looks like a pretty sweet boat.

I've done this with a 13' Gheenoe, and also launched from a pickup bed as well. Works in a pinch, and beats the hell out of not going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts