Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or does anyone else feel like Evinrude is completely missing the mark on the new outboards?

I'm trying to figure out what consumers they are trying to market to, it cant be the flats/skiff market. I have owned a 60 Etec and had no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to own another if it made sense (weight, warranty, price). With the new G2 115 HO coming in at 390lbs I cant see it competing in the Skiff/flats market against the SHO or Pro Xs 115 which are Fourstrokes and come in weighing less.

I'm waiting on the other Outboard companies to take notice of the popularity of the Tohatsu 50 and Yam F70 due to them having the lightest weight for their class of motor and create some competition. It's hard to deny the popularity of the Yam 90 2 stroke in this market due to the light weight, definitely not due to its quietness or fuel efficiency. Evinrude has definitely double downed on sticking with 2 stroke technology and in my opinion have missed their mark.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The G2s have cooling issues too.
I dont get to go down and boat with our family in Dania as much anymore since I have 2 young kids now, but a family member is constantly boating and has 2 G2 300's on a 32 Belzona. No issues yet, motors are definitely strong and push that boat well.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
I dont get to go down and boat with our family in Dania as much anymore since I have 2 young kids now, but a family member is constantly boating and has 2 G2 300's on a 32 Belzona. No issues yet, motors are definitely strong and push that boat well.
The cooling issues rear their ugly head when the motors are elevated. They don’t handle aerated water as well as other outboards. On a twin outboard boat or fixed position they are fine but as soon as you start jacking them up they can’t run as high as other outboards.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I had to learn a bit about the G2 series before I was able to work the BRP booth at the Miami Boat Show a year or two... and they're absolutely head and shoulders better than all the others are making... That said, the G2 is only down to the 150 size range so far... I've been told that the next wave will have the smaller motors - between 115 and 140hp... Me, I'm running the 90 standard E-Tec which checks in a 320lbs... and can't wait to see the next wave... I've also been told it will include a 3 cylinder 115... - and I really doubt that it will be a heavy weight...

If you actually compare the same hp motors, the E-Tec is right in the same weight range or a bit lighter in the bigger motors.... Their smaller motors (less than 60hp are absolutely a bit heavier than other makes - but they're also quite a bit stronger and definitely push harder than comparable lighter weight motors...

I'll stop here since everyone has to choose the motor and rig they prefer for themselves... I might be just a tad prejudiced since I've never owned any other motor than a Johnson or Evinrude (since 1974...) and I've been running BRP motors since they first allowed guides to get on their program back in 2003 (on my third E-tec 90 as well - running them since 2005... ). I was on OMC's guide program before that (from 1997 to 2001 when they went out of business...).

Yes, I'm lucky enough to be on their guide program - but other than an initial price break - I get no freebies - and stand in line for my service just like everyone else (and I'm in hard commercial service...).

Today we clocked a 70 mile round trip into the backcountry of Everglades National Park (from Flamingo all the up to Highland Beach, running a motor with a bit over 2300 hours on it... My anglers today... Jan LeMieux and his son Declan... I'll post up a report tomorrow...

ps.. I don't like jackplates at all... I do run customer's boats with them - but that's one "extra" you can keep as far as I'm concerned....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had to learn a bit about the G2 series before I was able to work the BRP booth at the Miami Boat Show a year or two... and they're absolutely head and shoulders better than all the others are making... That said, the G2 is only down to the 150 size range so far... I've been told that the next wave will have the smaller motors - between 115 and 140hp... Me, I'm running the 90 standard E-Tec which checks in a 320lbs... and can't wait to see the next wave... I've also been told it will include a 3 cylinder 115... - and I really doubt that it will be a heavy weight...

If you actually compare the same hp motors, the E-Tec is right in the same weight range or a bit lighter in the bigger motors.... Their smaller motors (less than 60hp are absolutely a bit heavier than other makes - but they're also quite a bit stronger and definitely push harder than comparable lighter weight motors...

I'll stop here since everyone has to choose the motor and rig they prefer for themselves... I might be just a tad prejudiced since I've never owned any other motor than a Johnson or Evinrude (since 1974...) and I've been running BRP motors since they first allowed guides to get on their program back in 2003 (on my third E-tec 90 as well - running them since 2005... ). I was on OMC's guide program before that (from 1997 to 2001 when they went out of business...).

Yes, I'm lucky enough to be on their guide program - but other than an initial price break - I get no freebies - and stand in line for my service just like everyone else (and I'm in hard commercial service...).

Today we clocked a 70 mile round trip into the backcountry of Everglades National Park (from Flamingo all the up to Highland Beach, running a motor with a bit over 2300 hours on it... My anglers today... Jan LeMieux and his son Declan... I'll post up a report tomorrow...

ps.. I don't like jackplates at all... I do run customer's boats with them - but that's one "extra" you can keep as far as I'm concerned....
The Etec 90 is the lightest in the 90hp class and it came down to my buddy owning a Suzuki dealership and having a awesome mechanic a mile from my home otherwise I would have went Etec over the Zuke.

The 115 G2 and 140 G2 are coming in at 390lbs, heavy for a 115 but can see the advantage in the 140. With both the Yamaha F115/Sho115 and the Mercury Pro XS 115 being Fourstrokes and coming in at up to 31lbs lighter I was disappointed with Etecs latest and greatest.

·
Panhandler
3,452 Posts
Evinrude just officially announced the two new engines. The 115 HO and 140 G2 outboards start at 390 pounds apiece. I tested the 115 HO on a 19 Blazer Bay and it was a strong engine for its class.

·
Registered
855 Posts
the next engine i buy will not be an etec for 2 reasons.
1. the threads broke on the oil reservoir which is a known issue from 07-08 which means i cant fill oil to the top and dealer wants a ton of money to replace.
2. the certified evinrude dealer locally has ferrell cats that seem to only use my seadeck as a scratching post. they claim no responsibility .......thanks Becks Outboards in Jacksonville

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I’ll tell anyone not to get an E-Tec without a strong dealer that has a good reputation close by... The lower units are
pretty straight forward- the upper end is not, and needs a factory trained tech with the correct software for that year model to be able to work on it properly...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll tell anyone not to get an E-Tec without a strong dealer that has a good reputation close by... The lower units are
pretty straight forward- the upper end is not, and needs a factory trained tech with the correct software for that year model to be able to work on it properly...
What I do like about brp is you can purchase their software to run diagnostics on your personal laptop.

Becks are great mechs but have long lead times and like Rookie said....cats will piss in your boat and more.

I guess I was just hoping the 115 would come in weighing less than the mercury 115.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Remember you still haven't seen a G2 115 - if it's a three cylinder motor as I've been told by my dealer all bets are off as far as weight goes.... even if the E-Tec system requires a much heavier fly wheel, etc. They've done some very smart things (unlike the old OMC that used their own customers as test beds.... then got buried in warranty claims as a result...) - one of them was simply setting up the 90hp models with the exact same lower unit -that the old V4 motors had (much greater fluid capacity and certainly exceeded the needs of a 3 cylinder 90 motor....). Another thing they've done (and was needed to have a 300 hour maintenance cycle....) is to use pure synthetic lube for that same lower unit with much greater capacity to keep working even with a bit of water intrusion.... Very smart.

One of the features in the new G2 motors that's not obvious at all is to have an auxiliary cooling tank for lower unit fluids - that's up in the motor where you can not only view it - but also has a clear transfer tube so you can get a visual on your lower unit's lubrication without doing anything more than simply removing a side cover and taking a look... Gone are the days when you had to crack open a side screw to be able to get a look at the fluid as it dripped out to see if you had any water intrusion... Once again - very smart...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,987 Posts
My old mechanic feelings as well...

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
The next time I run into C.A. I’ll be asking him about it... I’d really like to know whether that new 115 is the 3 cylinder one I’ve heard about... I ran 115’s for years before I down sized to the E’Tec 90 back in 2005...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Hey Capt Bob two things. First thanks for giving your thoughts and also telling us that you go get a price break. I wish all pro staff guys would tell us that upfront. But my real question is to hear your thoughts on why you hate jack plates? I am getting real close to starting my new boat and that is one of the decisions. I have never had a saltwater boat that didn't have one and not sure I could stand to do without. What's your issue?

Thanks,

Steve

G

·
Hey Capt Bob two things. First thanks for giving your thoughts and also telling us that you go get a price break. I wish all pro staff guys would tell us that upfront. But my real question is to hear your thoughts on why you hate jack plates? I am getting real close to starting my new boat and that is one of the decisions. I have never had a saltwater boat that didn't have one and not sure I could stand to do without. What's your issue?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve, I can’t speak for Capt’ Bob but here is my take if ya don’t mind...
A jackplate is a specialized accessory that some folks absolutely need and others not so much. The Texas flats and my home area on the Nature coast of Florida you had better have one along with the right prop and low water pickup usually! Keys, not needed so much as there are many no motor zones and the water is deeper in many cases leading to these zones. They do add weight and have issues like anything mechanical so you’ll need to weigh your options. I will say that in over 20yrs in the biz that Bob’s machine has far fewer issues than any other jackplate out there in my experience! I feel that in Bob’s case it is probably a don’t need, why carry the extra weight and maintenance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.