Newbs from the Texas mid-coast

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SeadriftFlyFishing, May 1, 2018.

1. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I don’t despise airboats, just irresponsible captains that run all over everything and everyone like they are the only ones on the water. I know these guys don’t do that. I have great respect for guys that have been fishing the coast well before I was born and respect the area and fellow fishermen. It just takes one idiot at tge helm of a tower boat, jet ski, airboat, jet boat or any other craft to ruin the whole idea for the guys that act right.
    In that airboat’s defense last week...he was just running through the back lake to rescue some googan that thought running a 24’ bay boat 4 miles into a super shallow back lake was a good idea. I bet handing over that $700-800 taught him to look at how much shell is showing on the pilings at the ramp before he goes barreling off into places he shouldn’t be.

GullsGoneWild and EdK13 like this.
  2. SeadriftFlyFishing

SeadriftFlyFishing Active Member

Only you used Ankona and "cutting edge" in the same sentence, I certainly did not, not the I might not...LOL, but thanks for the input.

GullsGoneWild likes this.

3. SeadriftFlyFishing

Thanks smackdaddy, I always tried to give the fly guys plenty of quarter and have passed down the same feelings to our operators. Nothing like seeing a fly guy about pass out when he'd be off the platform and I coudn't see him and would end up inadvertantly burning him down. Hate to even get near them. We try to give plenty of quarter; word of advice, don't hide, get on the platform, use a white push pole...LOL, if you here us coming.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  4. EdK13

EdK13 I Love microskiff.com!

You and Captain Smack should go out in his HPXT. You'd have a blast.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  5. SeadriftFlyFishing

Good for you bud, thanks for the welcome.

6. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

We don’t always use fly gear on a poling skiff, at least I don’t! There are just way too many people on the water these days and it’s not going to get any better unless there are even more regulations set and fishing becomes too expensive for most folks.
    I’ve had an airboat almost land on top of me wading the back creeks on the south shoreline of SAB and they didn’t even stop and say “sorry”. That’s the same a-holes that think they own the ramp at Goose Island. Those cats have pulled some ridiculously stupid stunts in front of me and a few buddies.

7. troutsetter

troutsetter Active Member

Glad to help :p

8. SeadriftFlyFishing

I plan on getting my freak on, got some young talent that's bubbling to the surface. A buddy with a Beavertail has been sick. As soon as I can get him well and capable of shifting into brain neutral long enough to take me out, we're going to see what's up in that world.

Smackdaddy53 and EdK13 like this.
  9. SeadriftFlyFishing

Certainly no cause for that and I apologize on behalf of the airboating community. One thing, however, keep in mind it's hard to bring an airboat to a stop in a deep water bayou without doing more harm than good. I always tried a hand gesture of apology and usually when I offended it was pretty obnoxious and obvious that nobody in their right mind would be in that situation if they had another alternative. Bayous and drains to the back marsh are entry and access points. When that's the only reasonable way in and out, chances are good somebody will burn you whether in a bayboat of an airboat. Just keep in mind, anyone behind the stick from Castaway Lodge cares a great deal about being courteous.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  10. POCtied

POCtied Well-Known Member

at first glance I thought she was holding a shoota till I realized its her big ole paw

11. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

:D