Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just signed up after realizing how much wisdom and experience has been collected here. Long story short, I am disabled due to Lyme disease and have hiked and canoe tripped since my early teens. I find it more and more difficult to set out into the wilds under my own power but I REALLY miss being able to just pack up and go on a camping trip on a whim, which leads me to my need for advice from the forum.
I need a shallow draft boat that I can use on decent sized rivers and also in the swamp narrows. I am overwhelmed at the choices available and not sure about the tradeoffs of choosing one over another. I'm not sold on any certain type. For my style of camping it seems it comes down to draft and weight. So lets start with draft. In your experience which would get me in the shallowest places? Gheenoe? If so, 13' or 15'. Square Backed canoe? John boat? As you can see, I'm totally lost. I have a 5hp motor but would be willing to buy another type if necessary. Thanks for any and all help. Oh, by the by, I'm a big guy. Since my disability I've gotten bigger (rounder). I'm 6'4" and 280 pounds if that needs to be factored into the equation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
your size is a factor. Especially considering your health. With that said. I've owned several Gheenoes and find them to be stable and affordable. The classic would likely be the way to go using your current motor. There should be plenty of room for gear. But YMMV.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Not to be insensitive, maybe a few more details on your disability . How mobile are you. Is your disability going to get better,worse or remain stable. I think a john boat might be a more stable platform but more information may help everyone with their suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts