newbie advice

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by adc77, May 10, 2010.

1. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

i just picked up a Nikon cool pics p100 and am looking for some tips on fishing photography. i know it is not a dslr but i could not see getting that invested at this point. any thing would be helpful (settings, software, and storage in you skiff. )
    thanks
    aaron

2. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Storage, pelican case.

3. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

X2 on the pelican ! Looks Interesting ..... Experiment Take notes

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-p100/4505-6501_7-33966421.html

4. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

i have a underwater kinetics dry box that came with one of my dive lights. i thought i would use it once i found some foam for the inside.

5. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

X3 on the Pelican Box...Get one that will fit
    your camera and cell phone with foam all
    around both and you will be bullet proof!

6. Yoreese

Yoreese I Love microskiff.com!

I have Pelican for Dslr and a Simms dry bag for P&S it has room for cell phone and wallet. 

Photography tips always put sun at your back and if it's bright sun like mid-day learn to use fill flash.  Push fish out toward camera makes a minnow into a WHOPPER! LMAO!!! :)  Have fun!

7. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

gimp.com is a free editing software that can do many, but not all things, the expensive adobe photoshop can do. dry bag the camera and dont be afriad to take many pictures in different settings

8. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Shoot in RAW files. Edit them in Photoshop with the RAW menu (it will open automatically when you load the image into photoshop). Since you shoot Nikon (if your camera has the ability to shoot RAW files) it will be coded NEF RAW. In my opinion the RAW menu of Photoshop is by far the most powerful tool available on that software. I use Photoshop CS4 the Master Extended Version. Its pretty sweet. If you happen to be a college student, or know one, college book stores have the student version of CS4 for pretty cheap.

9. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

right now on my computer i have the nikon view nx , picasa ,and gimp.  This camera does not seem to shoot in raw.  i was just reading a article about this and was not sure how important it was to me. what i got from it was that raw gave you the ability to correct a wider range of problems.  i'm not sure i have the ability to do major manual corrections at this point anyway.   and as much as i would like a camera that had more room for me to grow in to, i think i have to keep a leash on this one.  after getting into fly fishing i don"t think my marriage can handle any more expensive or time consuming hobbies.  i did find some good tips just searching the web as well.
                              http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/matthews_phototips.aspx
                                 and
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass-fishing/where-fish-bass/2009/06/beginners-guide-better-fishing-photograp

thanks for the help guys

10. Yoreese

That camera only shoots JPG's and that is fine, there are many magazine covers that were shot and submitted as JPG. More than anything if you don't already have a good handle on exposure and how to accomplish a good one get a photography book or read on the internet. That will help you more than anything. Digital is very user friendly compared to film as you can check your exposure immediately with the histogram. I'm sure the Nikon P100 will let you preview the image and show the histogram and maybe even make over exposed highlights blink.

11. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

thanks for the pointers. i have been focusing on learning the camera first. no pun intended. i did get out dock light fishing last week and played with it for a while before it got dark.  out of eighty some shots i think i kept three. lol 

12. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Don't be upset at the averages of pics good/bad. Some people ask how many pics I take on a trip, which on a good one ends up being around 300 or so. I keep 10, lol.

13. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Another thing, when shooting a pic, try to make sure the horizon is straight.
    A crooked horizon is an eyesore.

14. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

if its a little crooked, it is an eyesore. if its intentianal, its artsy.

one of my favorites i did way off "horizon"

[​IMG]

15. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

a little practice at Busch gardens.

16. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

17. adc77

adc77 Well-Known Member

18. Yoreese

This is actually pretty good, but like others have suggested do your best to level the horizon. If you goof and I do quite often you can fix it in software later. If you don't have software yet just go buy a copy of Photoshop Elements it will let you fix many things.

19. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

That straighten tool in the Camera Raw menu is magic............LOL

20. Punkrawqer

Punkrawqer Hi, my name is Jon and I am addicted to Fishing...

Nice pic of your ipb...how do you like the boat? I was thinking about getting one...