Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My amazing wife won a work incentive trip to New Zealand in March and I get to go...lucky me! I’ve convinced her to stay a couple days extra days to do some guided fly fishing trips.

We are going to Auckland, Marlborough and Queenstown. It’s looking like the best place to do some fly fishing is around the Queenstown area. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommend anything? I’m leaning towards freshwater fishing but is saltwater even an option ?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Chris, I have zero idea on any saltwater fishing down there (although I am sure there has to be some....striped marlin?) but NZ is trout nirvana. I would look hard at a trip to a great river and maybe a helicopter trip.

Give Yellowdog Flyfishing a call and talk to them. This is a true trip of a lifetime. Run with the big dogs!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I went a few years ago... amazing place. I did not go after Kingfish ( known as yellowtail here). They are fished on flats but not sure of area nor season. I trout fished a bunch. I based myself out of Nelson on the south island. It is beautiful but challenging. Crystal clear water and big fish. Also be prepared to hike miles. It is truly a naturebound adventure. I found the trout to be very spread out. Like a trout every 300yds or so. Plan on hiking 2 miles at least round trip per outing. There are rivers everywhere so try and get in touch with a fly shop and find where is fishing best.

I did best on the Motueka river which is in the marlborough area. Once you find a fish its is all about stealth. If you can get the fly infront of the fish with out the fish seeing you most likely you will get an eat..... its tough i spooked probably 70% of the fish. Try to walk up river as far from the bank as possible while still looking for fish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back guys. It looks like I'm leaning towards trout fishing and doing a little hiking.

It won't be a hardcore fishing trip but it will be nice to cross NZ of the bucket list. I'll send some pics of how it went once I get back. In the meantime....I may head down to the Everglades this weekend....life is good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts