New Yamaha F70 vs Suzuki DF60A, performance comparo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Surferguy, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM.

1. Surferguy

Surferguy Active Member

I'll be buying a new motor very soon for a Tracker Grizzly boat I bought. (New boat, welded alum, 18'L X 60"wide at transom bottom, 7 deg deadrise, 800 LB dry hull wt).
    Boat is weight sensitive so want to keep motor in the Suzuki 60 weight class. The Yamaha 70 is in this weight class, and would provide 10 more HP. Or, would it?

Is the Yam 70 a "weak", or true, or "powerful" 70? Is the Suzuki 60 a "weak", or true, or "powerful" 60?

I can get the Suz 60 significantly cheaper, and they have the "Gimme 6" warranty/service plan available if bought before June 30. Yamaha does not have YES warranty promo currently, so I would either have to wait to buy, or buy it myself, which would add $?? to the motor purchase price.

Thanks for input.

2. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

In southeast La. Delacroix, lots of commercial rigs with the Suz Engines and lots of lower units off for repairs. Just viewing the issues here.............

3. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Love my f70. No complaints about power. I also liked the larger prop selection available with the f70.

Flat Mad likes this.
  4. jonterr

jonterr I Love microskiff.com!

Suzuki all day!!!

Str8-Six likes this.
  5. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

I debated between these two for my skiff too. F70 is quieter, and has better prop selection. I like the hose flush connect better on the F70 and the proven reliability. Suke is less expensive to connect to NMEA network from what I've heard, lighter, performance should be very similar, and it is 2k less. I got the Suke just because I couldn't justify paying the extra money. Also I wanted the lightest 60. Happy so far.

6. fjmaverick

I went yamaha because I had the guages and controls and was repowering.

The new style suzuki guages look great but the old ones were not something I wanted to put on my boat.

7. Limp Shrimp

Limp Shrimp Well-Known Member

F70 has an extra cylinder and more displacement, theoretically should have more power.. reliability wise, I think they are very close... It's up to you if the extra money is worth it for the Yami..

8. Surferguy

Surferguy Active Member

Thanks for the replies so far - great info. So far, doesn't sound like the Yam would offer a dramatic performance advantage.

RE prop selection: A Suzuki dealer/mechanic I know says I can use any prop that can be used on a Merc, Suz or Yam as long as it has the replaceable hub and proper thrust washer (get ones that fit Suz prop shaft), I checked a couple of prop manuf websites and this appears to be true. I was aware of the limited prop selection issue from when I owned DF115s back in 2000, but this appears to have been pretty much overcome with newer props that have replaceable hubs. What do you guys think of the Turing Point props?

RE pricing: Got a really good price on the Suz 60, which includes "Gimme 6" warranty and alum prop (I know the last 3 yrs is not a true factory backed warranty like you get w/ Yam YES). The closest price I've gotten on the Yam 70 is $2K more, with no warranty extension or prop, and to buy the extra 3 years of YES I think will be at least $600.

Re reliability: I've owned both (Yam F150s and Suz DF115s) and had excellent service from both. I like the "no timing" belt and the offset powerhead on the Suz, not that the belt service interval on the Yam is that severe or anything. Yams maybe had slightly better corrosion resistance (if you use in salt water like I do), not that you couldn't keep the Suz controlled, if you stay on top of your maint like I do (I'm near fanatic as I don't like being stranded, and never have been).

I think the black of the Suz might look a little better with the "grassland camo" paint on my boat.

9. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

The Suzuki marketing department knows consumers still have reliability concerns and is why they are still offering the Gimme 6 warranty to offset that concern. Considering Suzuki didn't come out that long after Yamaha tells me those concerns are real.

Don't get it twisted, the F70 is a better engine that is also used in the F60 and the Merc 60. Putting a 90 lower unit with 2.33:1 gears on it is where all the prop options came from.

Hundreds of flats boats that had two stroke 90 Yamahas have been successfully repowered with F70's with an acceptable decrease in top end and no increase in draft.

Hundreds of flats boats that had two stroke 70 Yamahas have been successfully repowered with F70's with an acceptable increase in draft and no decrease in top end.

You can't find anyone that's had a real problem with a F70, and that's why they're worth $2000 more to me.

10. Surferguy

Surferguy Active Member

OK, so now you've got me more interested in the Yam F70.
    MariettaMike, you say "Putting a 90 lower unit with 2.33:1 gears on it is where all the prop options came from." Does the F70 come stock with this lower unit ?

Someone give my a line on where I can get the best pricing on a Yam F70 in Florida or south Georgia (preferably central Florida). Depending on when the next YES promo starts, maybe I can wait to buy, as it will take a while for me to put the rest of the boat together and I already have another boat I can use until the new is ready.

11. zmgsvt

zmgsvt I Love microskiff.com!

What Mike said. Your getting what you pay for with outboards.

12. I had the option of either on my skiff, but honestly the for the extra cost for the yamaha you won't noticeably gain any HP, Torque, or reliability. I believe someone put one on an Evox and they weren't thrilled with the performance vs the zuke 60.

13. MariettaMike

14. Str8-Six

What prop are you running on your Suke 60?

15. @Str8-Six 11.75x15 Zuke prop, it has, however, been modified by pluff mud and oysters as of late

tgjohnso likes this.
  16. Str8-Six

3 blade?

17. Yessir

18. MariettaMike

BS!
    Jus say'n.

[​IMG]

zmgsvt likes this.
  19. East Cape

East Cape Well-Known Member

For every increase of 10HP you gain 1-4 mph...
    If your a Tamaha die hard the F70 is better than their own F60.
    However Zuke and Merc are only 1-2 mph slower and have more plus' IMHO over the Yamaha F70.
    If somebody wants torque or a tad more HP the 90hp will get them there but again only gain 4-6 mph more than a 60hp and yes, adding weight, cost etc as well
    My .02

DeepSouthFly likes this.
  20. fjmaverick

A lot of big generalizations in this thread

The f70 has a bigger prop selection not because of interchangeable hubs but because of the gearing in the lower unit. The f60 is (24:13) 1.85:1
    Where the f70 is (28:12) 2.33:1.

The f60 and f70 aren't comparable in performance or size (f70 is much taller).

The f60 hasnt been redesigned in years and is heavy at 249lbs for its class. The f70 was redesigned over 5 years ago and is light for its class considering a 2 stroke yamaha 70 is 228lbs and the f70 is 257lbs

not2shabby likes this.