Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I just saw about the 3rd or 4th comment this week about how old Hells Bay are better than the new ones, are more desirable, or something of that sort. However, no one ever indicates why that would be the case and leads me to believe it may be little bit of "things were better in my days" going on.

I don't have HB history committed to memory so can someone educate me on why that would be the case?

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,270 Posts
I can only comment on my personal skiff, a guide's waterman and same guide's new Professional. I would say the boat is a result of the owner, most of the hulls/boats that are older now in the right owners hands are something pretty special. I have also heard that the older boats have better mojo ;):rolleyes:.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like the older ones simply bc they cost about half as much as the new ones and perform pretty much the same.. and usually they are the owners pride and joy so they are better kept than just about any other used boat on the market.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think I just saw about the 3rd or 4th comment this week about how old Hells Bay are better than the new ones, are more desirable, or something of that sort. However, no one ever indicates why that would be the case and leads me to believe it may be little bit of "things were better in my days" going on.

I don't have HB history committed to memory so can some educate me on why that would be the case?
Here's my assessment of why older HB's are still desirable.

Older HB's (1998-2002) had a lighter lamination schedule, so the hulls were lighter but not necessarily stronger than current models. When the company's founders left (Morejohn October 2001 followed by Flip/Hal August 2002), so did the process and quality. The dark years for HB were Fall 2002 to 2006 under the leadership of Bryan Broderick. If you do a quick Google search on Broderick, you'll see why those were the worst years for HB. The company changed hands again in December of 2006 when Peterson purchased the company from a bankruptcy auction. Peterson brought life and quality back to the company, but the skiffs were noticeably heavier. This is why I think some people consider the early years more desirable. However, Hell's Bay recently announced a new lighter lamination schedule so this may no longer be the case.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I think they are in such demand because the look just like my Beavertail B2. Which is also a classic to many people. Seriously. The older Hellsbay were just cool, and something new that really had not been done. Today’s skiffs are just continuing what Hellsbay did. And most with a bunch of crap bolted all over them. Some newer skiffs are also getting ugly. Old Mavericks are pretty cool too. However they don’t get the love around here as much.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think they are in such demand because the look just like my Beavertail B2. Which is also a classic to many people. Seriously. The older Hellsbay were just cool, and something new that really had not been done. Today’s skiffs are just continuing what Hellsbay did. And most with a bunch of crap bolted all over them. Some newer skiffs are also getting ugly. Old Mavericks are pretty cool too. However they don’t get the love around here as much.
Face Nose Line art White Smile

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.