Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve saved up enough amazon points to get a new vise. Who here has used the atlas rotary, renzetti presentation 2000, and the dyna-king trekker? That’s my shortlist. What’s the pros and cons of these? Thanks

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
1,991 Posts
I’ve got the Atlas rotary. Just right for me as I have a smaller rolltop desk and it’s stupid easy to disassemble and store. I’m tying bigger saltwater flies, so can’t comment on the super small nymphs. I really like the vise, only warning I’d give is that the lever takes several uses before it breaks in and becomes smooth. I’m marginally above a newbie on skillset, ain’t no flysmith like @LowHydrogen .

·
Registered
374 Posts
I’ve had the Renzetti and dyna king. I liked the Renzetti just a little better. The dyna king prob had smoother rotary, but if hooks didn’t fit in the grooves on the jaws just right the hook would wiggle. If the hooks did fit in the jaws it was rock solid. The Renzetti will hold any hook tight enough to bend it in the vise.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have used many different vises in over 45 years of tying flies. This includes both Renzetti and Dynaking. Switched to Regal about 10 years ago. Simply the easiest I have ever used. I have done a lot of production work and fly design and find that some of these vises mentioned are tricky to work with in some tying applications.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You didn’t ask, but I really liked the HMH Spartan I had for many years. I liked that the body was very compact and easy to reach around with the fingers of my left hand. It held a wide variety of hooks very solidly. Never had any complaint about it at all.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,094 Posts
I like my Renzetti Traveler with cam jaw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
All about my DK but you can't go wrong with any of these.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was at the Fly Fishing shallow water expo in Atlanta today and watched some guys ting on the Norvise. There is definitely a learning curve to it, but once you get it down....game over. I would consider it if starting out or upgrading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll second the Norvise. I’ve had it now for several years, was a little weird at first, but after a few fly’s you figure it out. Watch Norms videos. A session or two of tying and I was so much faster than on my old vice, and my flys looked better. Can’t imagine going back.

·
Registered
159 Posts
DK is bomb proof, nicely made and holds a hook as well as any. Have never had a hook wobble , you do have to use the appropriate groove in the jaw. I rarely tie anything smaller than a 8. I guess if you were changing back and forth between hook sizes frequently you might need to adjust the jaws with collar.

BTW, I think all 3 of those vises are pretty nice>

·
I Love microskiff.com!
347 Posts
My opinion (as little as it is worth) is that you can't go wrong with any of your choices. They are all so good that just owning whichever one will cause it to be your favorite. I'm on my second Renzetti traveler, but not because anything went wrong with the first one - I just got a great deal on another slightly used one, so I bought it. Because I own it (or them), it is my favorite. But I think that if I had originally bought a DK, Norvise, Regal, or whatever other brand out there, it would be my favorite. Unless you are tying production flies, it won't make much difference which one you go with. Get one and don't look back - I don't think this decision is worth the mental gymnastics that we are all prone to do. You'll love whichever you end up with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use all of them and like Renzetti the most but if you are tying mostly HUGE flies (6+ inches) Dyna is better choice in my opinion- more room for hands and stuff on top on the vice. Smoller hooks (trout) do not fit in Dyna that grate and can move/reposition if not perfectly mounted.
I love Regal but it is not a true rotary and I like to see flies and glue them "around". Regal is perfect for regular trout flies I do not need to check from all sides/trim/clean around eyes etc. I like Ragal as I can rest my hand on it almost like on a the classic wooden bar :)
So in my opinion Renzetti gives most flexibility overall. And it does not have to be Master model!!!! as Traveler holds the hook with same strength- never needed more power. I use Master and Traveler interchangeably and do not see practical difference. Master looks cooler, I guess.
The only "problem" I have with Renzetti vices is ability to rest my hands and stuff on top of them. You can almost put pint of beer on Regal..Feels so solid. But its me.. Renzetti is a little bit "crowded".
If you are tying bonefish flies which need to be reverse during th eprocess ot rotary style long trout hackles (stimulators or burgers for example) true rotary is you best bet: Go for Renzetti or Dyna. Regal classic is not in line true rotary.
If I would be buying new vice, Renzetti traveler/traveler saltwater is best bung for a buck in my opinion.
Side note:
Also: bear in mind warranty service. No problem with R, D or R if ever needed!!! My friend bought fancy hell Expensive and great at first Petitjean vice. All was fine til the jaw broke. Swiss producer does not answer any email and warranty question. STAY AWAY FORM Mr. PETITJEAN If I may say.

By the way, I am looking for original -not snowbee!-Waldron :) if anyone by any chance would like to sale or trade...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been using a regal for years. want somthing thats a true rotary. ive a very heavy handed tier and want a true rotary with hellacious holding power. havent heard much about atlas, so i guess its between the dk and renzetti. thanks guys keep your reviews coming!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
I have tied on a lot of different vises using friends and the like, I didn’t like the grooves for hook holding on the dynaking and took me a bit to get used to them.

I like my griffin Montana mongoose a lot and feel even for my production tying I don’t need anything better as the quality is top nottch, but I also liked the renzetti’s I have used. I agree on the regal’s inability to be true rotary made it not my favorite.

With my somewhat production tying I thought the norvise might save me some time until I timed how long it normally takes me to wrap a hook shank and decided for the price of it it wasn’t worth while.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts