Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard Tohatsu is coming out with a new 60 HP engine to replace the Honda BF60 clone they’ve been selling. The only thing I’ve seen is a picture of a graphic on a dock posted on IG.

Anybody have more details?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think they won’t be available for 4-6months. My friend is getting his skiff built now, putting a 50 tohatsu on it, not worth missing tarpon season waiting on new 60

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought I saw where they were making it on the same block as the 50’s. Was going to be available in 15” shaft. Was from Miami boat show. Maybe I’m thinking of something else. A 15” shaft 60 hp that weighs 213 would be bad a$$.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of the Chittum demo skiffs at the Miami Boat Show was running it. According to him it was the only one available at the moment. Thing is tiny. I had a chance to demo the skiff and it was impressive. Can't remember the exact weight # but I believe 213 sounds close to it. Send Chittum a message on instagram and they'll give you the info.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I don’t think the 60 you mentioned here is the “new” one that was debuted at the Miami boat show. I was told at the show the 20” would come out in a few months, followed by the 15” 6 months or so after. I believe Chittum had the only one on their 12° Mangrove demo that was at the show. I didn’t sea trial it, but it did look small for a 60 as mentioned above.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That photo is the current production model 60hp.

The new 60hp that looks identical to the current 40/50hp and weighs almost the same. Not the 239lbs of the current one.
Ok. The one I looked at two years ago was 265lb now the have a 239lb model listed. So maybe they changed again but nothing from Tohatsu listed yet on another change, must not be coming out that soon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A 15" shaft will weigh less than a 20". Not much less but there is a difference...
I guess they will update the website if its lighter than what they list on their webpage?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Rumor is next year, or maybe sooner if you have the right connections, there will be a 60hp Tohatsu short shaft that only weighs 4 pounds more than the current 50 hp 15". Chittum thinks they can switch out things to make a 50 15" a 60 15" but not sure what all is involved. Hopefully Tohatsu will produce the 60hp 15" soon.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the Chittum demo skiffs at the Miami Boat Show was running it. According to him it was the only one available at the moment. Thing is tiny. I had a chance to demo the skiff and it was impressive. Can't remember the exact weight # but I believe 213 sounds close to it. Send Chittum a message on instagram and they'll give you the info.
That’s the ONE! I heard they didn’t have a high enough pitch prop for it.

But besides that how did that skiff ride? Was the hull noisy? Uncomfortably stiff? I know it was dry.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Ran & poled the full carbon 12 degree Mangrove 18 at the Miami Boatshow. Very nice riding boat. It was a rocket with the Tohatsu 60. Definitely lighter than the standard glass Mangrove. The ride is very soft. Chittum’s IG page has various videos. It’s hard for people to understand how these lighter boats skim over rough water and ride very well. When the bow bounces, it lands softly.

Ran the Tohatsu 60 on the Chittum Carbon Mangrove at the Miami Boatshow on Sunday. Strong engine. Felt significantly more thrust than the 50 in the mid range. The prop was made for a 50, so could not feel any top end difference. Also as a non-cupped prop, hole shot was normal compared to my cupped prop on 50. Understand the long shaft version will be available in the US in May. The short shaft will be in the Fall or early next year.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuCmOk-lFmB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5peggk9tap4b

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9qiqBFKtI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1hcp2p3uidj6m

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Ran & poled the full carbon 12 degree Mangrove 18 at the Miami Boatshow. Very nice riding boat. It was a rocket with the Tohatsu 60. Definitely lighter than the standard glass Mangrove. The ride is very soft. Chittum’s IG page has various videos. It’s hard for people to understand how these lighter boats skim over rough water and ride very well. When the bow bounces, it lands softly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuCmOk-lFmB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=5peggk9tap4b

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9qiqBFKtI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1hcp2p3uidj6m
I saw video on Chittum’s Instagram of that skiff with its trim tabs peaking while being poled with someone on the bow. That thing floats CRAZY high unloaded sitting at the dock... I’m talking can’t understand unless you see it high. After seeing it in person, I’m seriously tempted to sell my Waterman and trade up, as the 12° bottom would make Biscayne bay more comfortable for me. I purposely didn’t sea trail it for the sake of my marriage and check book! Lol! I’m thinking I won’t be so lucky come next boat show.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts

I saw video on Chittum’s Instagram of that skiff with its trim tabs peaking while being poled with someone on the bow. That thing floats CRAZY high unloaded sitting at the dock... I’m talking can’t understand unless you see it high. After seeing it in person, I’m seriously tempted to sell my Waterman and trade up, as the 12° bottom would make Biscayne bay more comfortable for me. I purposely didn’t sea trail it for the sake of my marriage and check book! Lol! I’m thinking I won’t be so lucky come next boat show.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts