NEW Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke EFI tiller??

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Flyline, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

Does Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke EFI offer all in one tiller feature like 25/30 merc 4-stroke EFI?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Front mounted shift lever

http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/30_4st.html

3. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

Ahhhh....crap!

Oh well.....a new 30hp mercury 4-stroke EFI, 15" shaft, all in one tiller feature, electric start and power tilt and trim is my next plan.

Thanks tough.....just wanna to confirm.

4. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

if memory serves me correct when i went looking for mine last year merc didnt offer a 30 hp in the short shaft tiller , the only 30 hp they had was a long shaft?? i might be wrong and its been a while since being on their site but there was something about it that kept me from going with the 30 as opposed to the 25

5. Flyline

I emailed Mark from the mercury/mako dealer and they do have a 30hp mercury 4-stroke tiller shortshaft manual start but don't have what I want.

They are going to order a 30hp mercury 4-stroke EFI 15" shaft, tiller, electric and manual start, and power tilt and trim for me to look at and to confirm if this is what I want.

6. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

whitesnooky,
    With a LT why not go with a 20 inch shaft? Knowing you, you will be installing a Jack Plate and a LT is designed for a 20 inch shaft.

7. Flyline

Yes I know but I'm going to stick with 15" shaft on notched transom LT25 CustomDH with electric jackplate, 3 blade heavy cupped propeller and electric trimtabs. I'm just working on some ideas for awhile before I call Pugar to build me a boat someday. If everything works out smoothy.

I made the mistake with 20" shaft tiller yamaha 2-stroke on LT25 and hydraulic jackplate..because too high to reach and drive the tiller handle like a monkey bars handle on the motorcycle.

8. mark_gardner

i tried the 20" shaft on the mudminnow.... didnt work to well, plowed the mud everywhere it went then chewed 2 blades off the prop when it found the oyster bars :mad: :-[

9. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Last time I checked Merc did not sell a 15" shaft with power t&t, electric start. Only 20"

Capt. Jan

10. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

Good point

What Height Transom? Did you have a Jack Plate?

11. Flyline

Mark emailed me and he got the order back because short shaft 25/30 merc doesn't include power tilt and trim so I'm pissed about it.

I'm going talk to Mercury dealer because Tohatsu dealer emailed me and he said they have a 30hp tohatsu 4-stroke EFI, T&T, 15" SHAFT, electric start and manual start, and tiller model for $4289.00.

So Tohatsu have power tilt and trim with 15" shaft and MERCURY doesn't offer it!!!! Why???? It's made the same motor!

I will talk to the Mercury marketing Sales manager tomorrow and see if they can do it. :mad:

12. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I already tried. ;) Talked to Mercury direct. I talk to folks a little higher up the food chain... ;D They don't sell the 15" with PTT. I was trying to help someone get one and they are not available. I wish they were... :-[

If you don't mind voiding your warranty you can buy the 15" model with gas assist, then buy the PTT (same mounting bracket) and electric start afterwords. You will need to add a charging system, problem is you'll have to change the flywheel to add the Electric start. You can bypass the electric start but you will not be able to charge the battery.

Trust me if you want 30hp, 15" with PTT and electric start in the Merc/Hatsu platform you have to go with the Tohatsu.

Been there done that... saved you the work to research... ;D You can thank me by buying me a cold one.

Cheers
    Capt. Jan

13. mark_gardner

yep thats what i thought cause i was looking for the same features as you and couldnt find it on a merc.. i paid just under $2700.00 for a 25 4 stroke with no tilt and no elec start , i should have gone with the tohatsu.

14. mark_gardner

i have a 15" transom, couldnt go with a jackplate due to restrictions created by the poling platform :'(

15. Flyline

Exactly!....that's why I won't go for 20" shaft tillers for Gheenoe Lowtide 25 with poling platform.

The jackplate is very last thing I want to mess with.

16. Flyline

Going to pick up a brand new 30hp tohatsu 15"shaft tiller with electric start and power tilt&trim in October at cookville, TN. my hard work on nights and weekends install ceramic title and wood floors finally paid off! Sweet...... :cool:

17. mark_gardner

i am assuming your going to incorporate this trip with some other event? sounds like a long ride just for a motor that is unless your getting a substantial discount :)

18. Flyline

My parents have a place up in Blairsville, Ga where I can stay and flyfish in the creek for few days. :cool:

19. gnuraider

gnuraider Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone is headed to onlineoutboards.com center of operations...he is getting a good deal, but I thought they shipped free and no sales tax...might be some other reason for the trip though?

whitesnooky - let me know if you are up for some trophy brown trout fishing on the Caney Fork River...you will be too close to pass up a trip on the Caney if you are coming to Cookville! Me and my Riverhawk buddies will give you a guided tour...i need another Gheenoe in the pack to help balance things out anyway...even the TWRA drives Riverhawks on the Caney!

Be careful...once you come to such a beautiful part of Tennessee, you might not go back home :)

Dave

20. evanslmtd

evanslmtd Well-Known Member

gnuraider
    It looks like Online has a free shipping restriction on some of their 20HP and up motors (see below quote from their Site).
    "This engine requires setup by a qualified dealer. We will only ship to such a dealer. We ONLY offer free shipping to such a dealer".