Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have been in and around then since a very young age. However, now I feel it is the time to purchase my very first. I have done a good bit of research on what would be best for me.

In an ideal world I would love to have an Ankona or Beavertail. I live in the Sarasota/ Bradenton area so live bait fishing is what I love, meaning livewells for me are a must. I have my fiancé and two friends that are always invited so 4 person capacity is needed as well. Lengths of 16’ to 20’ are best with 17’ and 18’ being the sweet spot. A beam of at least 65 is also preferable as well as a center console being a must. I will be keeping the boat in my garage so I will definitely need a trailer along with it. Poling platform is necessary as well, casting platform not necessary. I’m aware all this is a tall ask and beavertails are usually above my budget but I’m looking for all this at 22,000 or less.

Thank you,
Michael

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,679 Posts
Not sure if it will fit in your garage or not, but I would look hard at a repowered and/or restored Hewes lappy. You could also probably look at a Redfisher or a Mirage from the early 2000's at your price point. If you want newer than that, I'd look at the Mitzi skiffs or Ankona/Salt Marsh/Tavernier line.

Biggest downside to a "skiff" for how you fish will probably be the limited live well size. A "flats boat" (17'-19' length, 70"+ beam, 90-150 hp motor) sounds like it would be a better fit for you.

I had similar restrictions with fishing 4 people -- that ended up being my limiting factor and why I went with an older Redfisher.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree, unless your poling most of the time my suggestion is to look at a flats boat or small bay boat. Which since your live baiting most of the time get a boat designed to fish that way. Also said you want to potentially have four people in the boat, most of the offerings from ankona or beaver tail have a max rating of 3. Hewes, Maverick master angler or other brand flats boat will float four people without feeling like your sink the boat when everybody goes to one side of the boat. Not to mention there will be a lot more choices at your price point. If I didn’t plan on poling the boat and fly fishing I never would own a technical poling skiff, Hells Bay, beaver tail etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if it will fit in your garage or not, but I would look hard at a repowered and/or restored Hewes lappy. You could also probably look at a Redfisher or a Mirage from the early 2000's at your price point. If you want newer than that, I'd look at the Mitzi skiffs or Ankona/Salt Marsh/Tavernier line.

Biggest downside to a "skiff" for how you fish will probably be the limited live well size. A "flats boat" (17'-19' length, 70"+ beam, 90-150 hp motor) sounds like it would be a better fit for you.

I had similar restrictions with fishing 4 people -- that ended up being my limiting factor and why I went with an older Redfisher.
Thanks for the input on the boats I’ll give those you mentioned a look. Yes the problem is that my garage really only has the holding capacity for a smaller boat and that most of the time I have to cross shallow grass flats and pole through the back country.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, unless your poling most of the time my suggestion is to look at a flats boat or small bay boat. Which since your live baiting most of the time get a boat designed to fish that way. Also said you want to potentially have four people in the boat, most of the offerings from ankona or beaver tail have a max rating of 3. Hewes, Maverick master angler or other brand flats boat will float four people without feeling like your sink the boat when everybody goes to one side of the boat. Not to mention there will be a lot more choices at your price point. If I didn’t plan on poling the boat and fly fishing I never would own a technical poling skiff, Hells Bay, beaver tail etc.
Yes the poling is a key factor for me since it is what I plan on doing most of the time. But I will be sure to check out those makers.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,679 Posts
How much of a limitation is the garage? There was a thread on here recently that had a few ideas on boats that sound like they would do really well for what you want.

found the link: https://www.microskiff.com/threads/what-skiff-am-i-looking-for.57976/

Also, don't be too intimidated by poling most of those flats boats. My boat is pretty large (compared to most boats on this site) and I can pole it just fine for hours. Only time it sucks is when it's dragging bottom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much of a limitation is the garage? There was a thread on here recently that had a few ideas on boats that sound like they would do really well for what you want.

found the link: https://www.microskiff.com/threads/what-skiff-am-i-looking-for.57976/

Also, don't be too intimidated by poling most of those flats boats. My boat is pretty large (compared to most boats on this site) and I can pole it just fine for hours. Only time it sucks is when it's dragging bottom.
The garage isn’t too much of a restriction it just can’t take the bigger flats boats above 18, thanks for the link. I also just prefer the look of some of the poling skiffs personally which is why I lean more toward them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shadow cast on the forum has his taveriner for sale on here and is in that area I think it’s perfect for what your looking for and it’s also at a very good price

1 - 8 of 8 Posts