Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first off thanks for having me. Surely you guys get the same questions all the time but bear with me. I have an idea of the answer to my question, but really just looking for validation.

For my first boat I am thinking a Carolina Skiff j14 or j16. My goals are to be able to fish, hunt, and crab out of this boat. I live in the piedmont of N.C. right now but will be looking to move to the coast in the next 2-3 years life permitting. So this boat will see plenty of lake work in the immediate future, but salt water marshes will be coming quickly. I will be trailing the boat, currently with a small suv so weight is a concern until I get a truck.

My question is this, is this the right boat to consider based on what I want to do with it? I plan to set it up with a 25 or 30 tiller handle, trolling motor, and keep a push pole so that my options are all there. Am I crazy to think I can make this work?

B

·
0 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
Welcome! PM me, I live in Albemarle. We'll fish.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome, the little Carolina Skiff J models are some great utility skiffs, they can run very shallow when setup right and draft pretty skinny too I'm sure. I know they are NOT good rough water boats, but what would one expect from a flat bottom. Doesn't mean you couldn't make it work though, there are times when we all have to run that protected shoreline. But for what you want to do with it, it would be a great boat to start with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts