Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, finally joined the page. Hoping I can get some insight on some skiffs I have been looking at buying in the near future. I recently sold my solo skiff, needed something to take the misses or the dog along with me.

The skiffs I have had my eye on as of now are the:
Salt Marsh 1656
Skimmer Skiff 16'6
Ankona Native SUV 17
Ankona Shadowcast 18

Any opinions on these? I primarily fish the Lower Laguna Madre out of South Padre Island but would like something that could also be taken out to the lake for some bass fishing on occasion. I will clarify that Im not looking for a bass boat here, just a poling skiff that can somewhat handle a lake and eat a little bit of chop. Im really attracted to the price point of the Skimmer but keeping the other options open.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d love to take a ride in all of them, but unfortunately im 15-16 hours away from those dealers. Only skiffs I have the pleasure of riding along on are Chittums and an East cape. Both sweet boats, but way out of my price range.

Have y’all had any experience with the skimmer 16’6 or know any owners? That’s kind of at the top of my list due to price. But some personal experience would be awesome. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also sold my Solo Skiff because of the one man capacity. I wish I had enough garage space to have kept it. I loved that thing. I ended up with a Skimmer 14’ 6” and it’s been a great boat. I have no complaints. I imagine the 16’ Skimmer rides even better. I would say that you just have to be realistic with your expectations. I knew with mine I would get wet in windy/choppy conditions. I live in land locked Austin, so I spend most of my time on lakes and my Skimmer handles regular lake chop with ease. It can be a wet ride but it doesn’t feel unsafe. I usually pick my days at the coast based on wind forecasts but I’ve crossed small bays in less than ideal conditions. I’ve never felt unsafe.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’d love to take a ride in all of them, but unfortunately im 15-16 hours away from those dealers. Only skiffs I have the pleasure of riding along on are Chittums and an East cape. Both sweet boats, but way out of my price range.

Have y’all had any experience with the skimmer 16’6 or know any owners? That’s kind of at the top of my list due to price. But some personal experience would be awesome. Thanks for the input guys
I have the skimmer 16 and love it. Rides nicely through most iv put it through. I have it rigged with a 25hp suzuki and it sees around 29/31 mph with me and the wife.
Water transportation Boat Vehicle Boating Speedboat
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Sea Watercraft

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,656 Posts
Truthfully...nothing that you listed is going to eat any amount of chop worth mentioning...no matter what anyone tells you. We're all partial to our boats and tend to ignore or minimize their deficiencies when telling people about them.

For example...my gut reaction in reading your post was to tell you that you should call Harry Spear if you want a poling skiff for the LLM area. But then I thought to myself..."nah, he mentioned chop and the Glades X suuuucks in any chop over 8" or so...and forget a following sea, that shit is terrifying..."

I could have said it was "decent" in chop but runs effortlessly in 3" (or less) once you learn how to run it. But "decent" is all relative....;)

In your price range you are going to have to prioritize and get the boat that 80% of what you need...be it skinny water fishing or sand bar cruising with the wife...you are not very likely to find something that does both well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also sold my Solo Skiff because of the one man capacity. I wish I had enough garage space to have kept it. I loved that thing. I ended up with a Skimmer 14’ 6” and it’s been a great boat. I have no complaints. I imagine the 16’ Skimmer rides even better. I would say that you just have to be realistic with your expectations. I knew with mine I would get wet in windy/choppy conditions. I live in land locked Austin, so I spend most of my time on lakes and my Skimmer handles regular lake chop with ease. It can be a wet ride but it doesn’t feel unsafe. I usually pick my days at the coast based on wind forecasts but I’ve crossed small bays in less than ideal conditions. I’ve never felt unsafe.
Yeah the solo was cool, just a tad bit limiting on its capabilities. Thanks for the input though! the 14'6 looks sweet too, just needing something at least 16'. Good to hear from a skimmer owner though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Truthfully...nothing that you listed is going to eat any amount of chop worth mentioning...no matter what anyone tells you. We're all partial to our boats and tend to ignore or minimize their deficiencies when telling people about them.

For example...my gut reaction in reading your post was to tell you that you should call Harry Spear if you want a poling skiff for the LLM area. But then I thought to myself..."nah, he mentioned chop and the Glades X suuuucks in any chop over 8" or so...and forget a following sea, that shit is terrifying..."

I could have said it was "decent" in chop but runs effortlessly in 3" (or less) once you learn how to run it. But "decent" is all relative....;)

In your price range you are going to have to prioritize and get the boat that 80% of what you need...be it skinny water fishing or sand bar cruising with the wife...you are not very likely to find something that does both well...
I agree with everything you have said. Realistically I don't expect some chop eating machine, just curious as to which was best out of the list that I provided. My job requires me to be on airboats and flat bottom aluminum electrofishing boats so im not accustomed to a smooth ride! Thanks for the input.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,983 Posts
Based on where you are at, the SC 18 or the Native would be a perfect fit, unless you think you can swing the Cayenne. The tunnel will come in handy in the Texas shallows. We designed the ShadowCast and Cayenne lines specifically to reach anglers in Texas. Let me know if you need pricing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,337 Posts
Hey guys, finally joined the page. Hoping I can get some insight on some skiffs I have been looking at buying in the near future. I recently sold my solo skiff, needed something to take the misses or the dog along with me.

The skiffs I have had my eye on as of now are the:
Salt Marsh 1656
Skimmer Skiff 16'6
Ankona Native SUV 17
Ankona Shadowcast 18

Any opinions on these? I primarily fish the Lower Laguna Madre out of South Padre Island but would like something that could also be taken out to the lake for some bass fishing on occasion. I will clarify that Im not looking for a bass boat here, just a poling skiff that can somewhat handle a lake and eat a little bit of chop. Im really attracted to the price point of the Skimmer but keeping the other options open.

Thanks in advance!
If you want some good advice,take the max amount of money that you are comfortable with spending, then, at least double it or triple it!!!
Save yourself 10 years of trading and upgrading, and get the boat you want, but can’t afford NOW

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,290 Posts
That shadow cast 18 sounds like it would fit you well.

I ran a cooperhead in that area for a few years and while a small tunnel would have be nice I still caught a lot of fish.

if you upgrading from a soloskiff. They are all going to be a much better fit I would assume.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Contact Brian Little, with Sabine Skiffs .http://www.sabineskiffs.com/ in Houston.
I just purchased the Sabine Micro and I couldn't be happier.
Solid aluminum, NO SLAP Hull, very well thought out skiff.
"Aluminum You say?" Yes Aluminum. This will be the last skiff I purchase. She'll last a lifetime.
Ive been on their website a few times, sweet looking boats! I like the whole aluminum thing, would definitely give me peace of mind in the durability aspect. I assume you have the 30hp on it? If so, what's the top speed? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That shadow cast 18 sounds like it would fit you well.

I ran a cooperhead in that area for a few years and while a small tunnel would have be nice I still caught a lot of fish.

if you upgrading from a soloskiff. They are all going to be a much better fit I would assume.
Ive heard that a few times now! Been in touch with Ankona and they have been very responsive and helpful. But yes, I believe anything will be an upgrade from the solo. Cool little boat but limited and could potentially put you in a bind if you push its limitations. Ill keep the Shadowcast 18 in mind, thanks for the input!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.