Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up this skiff for a good price (i think so) so i can get back on the water with my son. i had a 13 highsider that i picked up thinking my son would love it like i did. but after a very unsuccessful trip with him i sold it and found this. i must say very surprised how roomy it is for the size and i like the set up. two pretty big storage compartments and a live well on the rear seat. came with a 15 hp electric start evinrude. i hope it moves ok with it. I had the front seat removed since there was a huge crack on the floor in front of it. I wasn't to crazy about that seat up there anyway. the guy doing the repair asked me if i wanted to turn it into storage since everything underneath was in great shape. so he thru in the hatch no charge instead of just having a plain front deck. more storage is always handy. its nothing fancy but i will set it up for bay and flats fishing which is what i mainly do like i did my j16. planning on taking it out tomorrow for its maiden voyage lets see how it does. i know for sure im gonna want to up the hp on it. ill take some better pics of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
895 Posts
where are you going to be using it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. took it out Monday for a shake down and ran great. super windy and only managed to get it up 19mph before I got to the no wake zone. I'm thinking it should hit at least 21mph cant expect more from a 15hp. have some tweaking to do do. i think I'm gonna need a hydra foil to bring the front down some and stop the bouncing and maybe gain some speed. definitely will be looking into getting a 25hp. didn't really fish just checked out and ran the engine and trolling motor. motor shuts off at idle and primer bulb seems to get soft but starts right up after a few pulls. ordered the starter solenoid for it looks like some one took it off. starter and rectifier look good don't know why anyone would take off the solenoid. now the brain storming begins on how and what I'm gonna do to it. if anyone has any suggestions as to what to check on primer getting soft and shutting off at idle would be great. its a 96 Evinrude 15hp electric start very low hours and used only in fresh water. ill be adding some better pics soon on skiff and engine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It’s usually a very simple problem for a primer bulb that doesn’t hold it’s prime, worse case you may have a fuel pump but even they are only 30 or 40 bucks. Try the o rings hoses new bulb connectors to and from gas tank to outboard it’s most likely losing the prime there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put a 25 and some trim tabs on you'll be much happier. I had a 15 Johnson on a similar weight boat and it did 22mph with that and now high 20's solo and mid 20's loaded and pops right up on plane in shallow water. Check out Maintaining Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 part 1
I am definitely going to put a 25hp on it but want to get all of the other things out of the way. Changing the storage lids to hatches on all three compartments. Adding bilge pump, rod holders,gps, possible jack plate some interior lights and paint the entire interior.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No updates yet my son got the Corona virus and it's been a scary time. Hopefully if he tests negative today will do some work on it.

·
Paddling away...
6,449 Posts
No updates yet my son got the Corona virus and it's been a scary time. Hopefully if he tests negative today will do some work on it.
That's unfortunate, I went through it my self a few months ago. But you no longer have to test negative these days, they have determined even though you don't have the virus actively in your system, you can still get a positive result for over 3-9 months later. As long as he hasn't had a fever in over 24 hours, and has waited at least 10 days since symptoms began, he should be good to re-enter society.

Reactions: jackson man
1 - 20 of 23 Posts