Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've recently purchased what I was told is a gheenoe under the premise I was buying a flat back pirogue. It appears the new fiberglass that was put in is delaminating, just not adhering to the old glass well. I'd like to make some floor plan changes because I plan on running a surface drive during hunting season and an 1985 johnson 9.9/15hp during fishing season. I've never worked with glass outside of a friends shop with pre-mixed resin and a chopper gun to blow in an old pirogue mold I picked up. I'm looking for advice for 2 things. I would like to strengthen the transom and the transom corners and I would like to install a grab bar. My plans for the grab bar are a standard aluminum plate with with short pipes welded to the plate and then insert and pin my actual grab bar into the pipes in the plate. I'm not too keen on drilling/bolting/5200 the plate to the floor so I was wondering about the pro's/con's of using adhesive on the plate to the hull and then glassing over the plate. Here's some pictures of what I got, which I really don't know what it is. Also I will be attatching pictures of the transom glass and corners that seem to be delaminating.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Welcome aboard! there are several threads posted on the forum discussing transom repairs, fiberglass repair, etc. Here is the link to a good thread on Gladesman Refurbish project:
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/gladesmen-refurbish-project.40587/#post-319989

if you looking to keep the boat for an extended period, the best approach will be to remove any/all delam fiberglass and then evaluate. Once you have done that, then you can determine if additional repairs are necessary. More than likely you will be replacing the transom based on your description and pics.

here is another thread with pics and good build knowledge
https://www.microskiff.com/threads/build-thread-1967-johnsen-starfisher-14.36427/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts