New Spinning Reel

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by REELKEEN, May 7, 2009.

1. REELKEEN

REELKEEN I Love microskiff.com!

Was thinking about getting a new spinning reel. Anyone have any they would suggest? Inshore 7' rod, live baits and top water 10lb braid.

Budget of 100 bucks or less. What's everyone's opinions?

2. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

if you can manage to squeeze another $35.00 or so and with a coupon from strike zone you'll be able to get a stradic 3000 for about $129.00 plus tax,  on another note, my brother found some starters on ebay and i think a few other places for around $100.00. i'll find out exactly where and let you know

3. REELKEEN

Thanks Mark. Is strike zone in town or a website?

4. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

strike zone is on bch blvd. just east of 9A. sign up on their mailing list and they'll send you valuble coupons. if you havent been to their store yet you really need to go. they are good people :)

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Hmmm, bait and plugs, braided line....quality reel, less than a hundred

that's not a spinning reel, that's a bait or plug casting reel.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10355646

I get better control over my plugs using my thumb burner than my spinners.
    And the new revolving spool reels are not what your dad used.
    The braking systems, once adjusted, cut way down on line over runs.
    No line twist. Wind knots, what are those?

Take a stroll down the aisle at wally world, quality reels at a good price.

6. REELKEEN

You don't even understand the amount of backlash that I could create with one of those.

7. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Solid quality for a good price. Look for the Shimano Sphero's 4000, about $70 anywhere you look. I have used mine for well over a year now, dunked in saltwater the first time out and not serviced until 3 weeks ago... :eek: Very light pitting on the main gear and no other problems. I use mine for the very same applications, same rod & line.

Giddy up! :cool:

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Are you saying it would look like a hairball coughed up by a sabertooth tiger?

;)

9. REELKEEN

If this cat
    [​IMG]

ate this backlashed reel

[​IMG]

and mixed it with a years worth of hairballs it might look half as bad as my backlash would look.

10. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

hEY GRAMPS I HOPE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE OLD MODEL SPHEROS'S, CAUSE THE BRAND NEW ONES ARE GOING FROM 109 TO 179 BUCKS, NOW THE OLD STYLE YOU CAN PICK UP FROM 60 TO 80 BUCKS IF YOU CAN FIND THEM, WHEN THEY DROPPED THE PRICE ON THEM THEY STATING SELLING LIKE HOT CAKES.

I PERSONALLY USE THE NEW SHIMANO SARAHA'S AND LOVE THEM HAVE HAD THEM SINCE CHRISTMAS AND I PUT THEM THROUGH A LOT OF USE SOMETIMES 2 FULLS DAYS OF FISHING A WEEK AND HAVENT HAD ANY PROBS OUT OF THEM.

THEY RUN 79.99 AND HAVE SHIMANOS NEW ANTI WIND KNOT TECHNOLOGY IN THEM AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS, I HAVENT GOT ONE WIND KNOT YET.

ALEX

11. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Alex - When did they change? I guess my reference was the old style...

Really though Daiwa has my vote hands down. The Team Daiwa Advantage is the best reel I have ever owned. Got it on clearance a while back for $100, they sell for $150 normally but worth every darn penny!

12. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

I BELIEVE THEY CHANGED THEM IN THE MIDDLE OF 08, THEY CAME OUT RIGHT AFTER THE NEW STRADICS CAME OUT. tHEY ARE BAD TO THE BONE.

ALEX

13. REELKEEN

You guys are worse than a panga full of somali pirates.

I've been hijacked!!!!

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

ya know, if those pirates swing both ways...

they're bijackers... [smiley=1-whoops1.gif]

[smiley=threadjacked.gif]

sabertooth hairballs.... ;D...TGIF!

15. okchris

okchris Well-Known Member

i love my new stradic 3000, I cant find anything not perfect about it.  This website is selling them for $119 (was $109 a couple weeks ago) - http://rivermarinesupply.com/
    also have the new symmetre 3000 and it is amazing as well.  just my 2 cents
    to save addit. bucks, you can also go to the fwcc website, dowload their latest saltwater regs and there are coupons for dicks and sports authority

16. dacuban1

dacuban1 Well-Known Member

tried to find these coupons. no luck..you gotta a link to it?

17. kuzus

kuzus www.fgci.com 800-272-7890

I like the old Spheros. They are smooth and very tough. I have 2 and one of them is at least 7 or 8 years old. I have only oiled them a bit over the years.

18. okchris

okchris Well-Known Member

sorry, here is the link... http://myfwc.com/docs/RulesRegulations/2009_SaltwaterRegsNewsletter.pdf
    also, sports authority runs $25 off of $100 purchases pretty often in the paper, keep your eyes out

19. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

How about the USREEL special they got going on? The thread posted in the general section. $59.99 I haven't used one of these, but I was looking at one at BPS and then I saw the price tag of about $135 and got scared away. They're on sale for $59.99, plus a 10 dollar rebate and a free rod.

20. flyfshrmn82

flyfshrmn82 Well-Known Member

I'll add another vote for the new stradics.  I bought mine when they first came out a couple years ago maybe.  Haven't had a wind knot yet.  It makes me happy everytime I fish with my buddies and they are getting wind knots.  I just politely say, "Cool, I haven't seen one of those knots in years.  That's a real hum-dinger.  Were you trying to cast over at that fish?  Here let me see if he's hungry...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!  I guess so. Sorry about your luck.  Man he's a nice one.  While you're down there messing with a knot, will you put the power pole down and take my fish off the hook.  Thanks." 

I used to be a die hard Diawa fan until I sent an Advantage in for maintanence and they nickle-n-dimed me for every little tiny thing plus a processing and labor fee.  Shimano customer service is much more lax and will charge you a flat rate (labor and most parts already included) or ship you basci parts at little or no charge.