New slr

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by crozb, Oct 9, 2010.

1. crozb

crozb Well-Known Member

I just bought a new Canon T2i and am new to photography. I bought a 75-200 is lenses with it. I was wondering what else I should get. What filters and what other lenses do you guys use? Any help would be appreciated.

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Jan will probably move this ...

(Disclaimer May Contain "Dated" Specs and Terminology)

But get something below 70 Not sure what is offered These days Do not know the Magnification factor of the CCD

but my guess would be a 10-70  get an OEM and the fastest possible also a couple of "petal"
    hoods and Sunpak circular polarizers

You will be good 2 go

I'm holding out for a 1:1 CCD in a Nikon That is my next "Jump"  I know D-3 or 700 I will trade a house rent free for one of those ;-)

Dave

Right now I am Mired in the past with a 5 Mp POS with only 156 Meg possible Memory Buy I am making Do LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

did you also get the kit (18-55is) lens? like dave said, you will need a wider lens than 70mm.
    i believe the crop factor is 1.4 or 1.6 on all non fullframe canons. i will try to explain it like this....
    a 50mm lens is considered to be equal to what humans see, not soomed in, not wide angled. digital has a hitch, good or bad.. that 75mm you got(which is btw a great lens) has a crop factor of about (guessing) 100, so you are already starting out 2x zoomed. great lens for portraits and wildlife, but might be difficult for use when, say on a boat trying to get a picture of a friend on the same boat as you.

also, with the t2i(again im jealous, i have a crappy xs, but will be upgrading soon), you will no doubt want to use the 1080p movie mode......

some people dont like them, but i do.... prime lenses. lenses you cant zoom in or out with, just focus.
    why would you get that?2 main reasons. they are fast lenses(big/wide aperture(f/stop)) and they are way cheaper. the quality of pics is great..... you can get a really really small DoF and $100 the 50mmf1.8 is hard to beat.....

for the past 6 months all i used(until thursday) was a 70-300 and a 50.

and the 50mm will get you most shots, you just need to move your body instead of turn a ring to get the framing, and you can also crop pretty well, as they are sharp images...lots of info out there. i would get a 50mm or something smaller, i think they make a 30mm prime.....

also i think they make a 10-20mm, which would be almost fisheye effect.... either way, take some photos and have fun, also, dont waste your money on a uv filter, just get a circular polirizer

love that camera, let me know if you get bored with it and i will gladly take it off your hands

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

5. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

I do ALOT of wildlife photography, so getting close is hard. For most animals a 70-300mm is a must. For birds I'd say you want a 500mm, because catching them in flight can be a challenge with a 300 even because of the added distance up. Hope this helps a little.

6. crozb

crozb Well-Known Member

I have a 18-55 and a 55-250. I was thinking about getting a 50 Fixed. I need to pick up some polarized filters as well. Trying to get it figured out. Thanks for the help.

7. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

18-55, it's the only lens that has been on my camera for the past 8 months.  Buy one that is made for your camera, not some cheap chinese stuff.  The better glass quality will work great for the video.  I would shy away from getting a fixed lens until you are ready to start shooting landscapes.  I would then get a nice wide angle, 15mm f1.8.

Don't spend money where you don't need to here.  It's going to run you up in $$ fast!

A polarized filter is a must. If anything it adds a little bit of shatter protection in case you drop it.

8. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

I forgot to mention this earlier but I have UV filters on all of my lenses to protect them from the elements. A must have, personally, since it's saved my lenses from water, sand, dust, and snow!

9. noeettica

oh GET A MONOPOD ! for that 500

10. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

He doesn't own a 500..

Please try not to derail these threads. He was asking a simple question.

11. crozb

crozb Well-Known Member

Skinny Water,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to the Keys for a week to really break this camera in. I'll pick up a polarized for it. I was thinking of the 50 fixed just for landscaping. There is a Canon one out there for around $100 that gets decent reviews.

12. noeettica

Get a sunpak filter $100.00 is way too much ! and Yes a monopod WILL help in low light ...

13. HighSide25

heres my questions and everyone opinions before i got my 50...

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1270577766

and after a few months it does take some great pictures.

your dslr has a very high iso, so it would make loow light shooting very very impressive... my cameras iso max is 1600, and becomes grainy at 800.... you rs prolly will be a bit better....

also, i have heard that unless you get a special tool to zoom with, zooming in/out during movie mode is rough and can become choppy.... also unless you have an extenal mic or two, the internal one will pick up the sound of the zooms gears... one more reason for a prime lens....

the 100$ 50 gets good, crisp photos and can blur the backgound or foreground with ease.   if you are in a small boat, it can be difficult to get everything in frame, as it simply isnt a wide angle lens, but it can get most things....

ill do some sample pics for you tomorrow with my three lenses.... they wont be exciting, but they should give you an idea...

also, i beleive before the 1990's most camera "kit" lenses came with a 50mm prime, not like todays kit lenses, where the zoom lenses are norm.

all the below pics are used with a 50mm. no kind of filter, although i wish i had a filter for most of them

f/7.1
    [​IMG]

cant find the aperture, but its a 50mm
    [​IMG]

this redfish was tough to get because the 50 was the widest lens i had, and in a 16ft boat with the subject 4 feet off the transon, i get 12 feet to get everything in frame...  i also dont like climbing on the bow to get a pic when fish are swimming underneath me and hungry.  this aperture was f/4 at a speed of 2500 and iso 200
    [​IMG]

or if your too confined in the boat, learn to swim with your feet, just dont drop the camera!

[​IMG]

this swimming shot was f/4 3200 iso200

this one i cheated and used flash, but i was prolly 10-15 yards away and used flash, but it was handheld

[​IMG]

this last pic was either f/1.8 or f/2

none of these pics had a polorizer on them, and now i really wish they had..... photography is a learning experience, and with that said and not to derail your thread, i would be open for suggestions on any of these pictures... thanks!

ill do a side x side comparison tomorrow of a 18-55is, 50, and 70-300

14. HighSide25

and two cropped pics.... yours may be sharper with more megapixels, i dunno...  also im not sure if that part was the most in focus....

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]