Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Rectangle Wood Tree Twig Font

@Chris Morejohn message understood, I apologize for overstepping any boundaries and I’ll rethink my strategy going forward.
Here it is. Station 6 was widened slightly on the jig to get a fair curve

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,890 Posts
@Sam K I understand where you're coming from, always looking for improvements and wanting to incorporate new ideas. I have a similar mindset, and I went through a lot of this with my build. Some ideas add a lot of value, some add a little. Some take a lot of effort to incorporate, some are simple. Some are high risk of having unwanted side effects, some have very low risk. Being 40% easier to pole is great, but how much value does that really add when the original is already extremely easy to pole? What do you lose when you make those changes? How much is the benefit reduced when you're fighting a cross breeze, or pushing the skiff through tall grass? I have my own slightly modified version of the CF drawn up in SolidWorks also -- the profile at the waterline is very nice, and all I did to the running surface was extend it (on its original lines) 18" and change the transom.

Also, there's a big difference when building a skiff to sell vs. building a skiff for yourself. From a business standpoint, a "modified Chris Morejohn design" might carry more weight than your own design that's been "inspired by a Morejohn design". I would be really curious to see your skiff overlayed with the Conchfish as well. Do you have them both modeled in SW? If I'm remembering right, it's got a touch more deadrise, is shorter, slightly narrower, and a slight taper at the waterline? Then aside from the running surface, the spray rails are a little wider up front but taper into the hull towards the stern?

Still enjoying watching the build thread. I think you'd be amazed what you can do without exotic materials when doing this type of build. E-glass and epoxy can make for a hell of a boat when paired with good design/forethought and construction practices. Looking forward to seeing more.

·
Baton Rouge, LA
178 Posts
I was in a bit of a different boat (pun intended). I had designed a hull to build stitch and glue, but couldn't find good pricing (or really any product) for marine ply locally. I had already built the jig. Then I looked into foam core methods and came across Chris Morejohn. I had never even heard of him before, and I've still to this day never even been on one of these poling skiffs. At this point I decided I needed to adjust some stuff on the design, and convert over to foam core. He was extremely helpful in the process.
In the below, you can see a similar sketch to what you had posted of my stations. On the right is before I knew who CM was, and on the left is after I read every single post on his blog, looked at his designs and tried to implement what I could.

I am but a chemical engineer, not one of those other lesser engineers, so I didn't draw the boat in solid works, I used freeship and sketchup. I'm pretty sure my waterline profile didn't turn out shaped like a dorito either. I didn't try to save weight and err'd to overbuilt vs underbuilt.

Font Rectangle Symmetry Pattern Triangle

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I was in a bit of a different boat (pun intended). I had designed a hull to build stitch and glue, but couldn't find good pricing (or really any product) for marine ply locally. I had already built the jig. Then I looked into foam core methods and came across Chris Morejohn. I had never even heard of him before, and I've still to this day never even been on one of these poling skiffs. At this point I decided I needed to adjust some stuff on the design, and convert over to foam core. He was extremely helpful in the process.
In the below, you can see a similar sketch to what you had posted of my stations. On the right is before I knew who CM was, and on the left is after I read every single post on his blog, looked at his designs and tried to implement what I could.

I am but a chemical engineer, not one of those other lesser engineers, so I didn't draw the boat in solid works, I used freeship and sketchup. I'm pretty sure my waterline profile didn't turn out shaped like a dorito either. I didn't try to save weight and err'd to overbuilt vs underbuilt.

View attachment 183483
I’ll have to look at your build more when I get back home, looks really cool. You’re a blessed man that you don’t have to use cad, it’s not fun.
To be clear, I wasn’t trying to say every other skiff is shaped like a Dorito at the waterline, just was trying to illustrate what I worked to avoid in order to reduce drag and oversimplified the explanation.

Going to go back to the drawing board for a few weeks and come up with something different.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,890 Posts
I’ll have to look at your build more when I get back home, looks really cool. You’re a blessed man that you don’t have to use cad, it’s not fun.
To be clear, I wasn’t trying to say every other skiff is shaped like a Dorito at the waterline, just was trying to illustrate what I worked to avoid in order to reduce drag and oversimplified the explanation.

Going to go back to the drawing board for a few weeks and come up with something different.
Hope you aren't scrapping the current project! In my personal opinion, the big differences in most of the "modern" poling skiffs is in the deck layout (and fit/finish). There are tons of opportunities to get creative and push the envelope. It's also where you can add or save a bunch of weight, and really affect the stiffness/strength of the hull. An example of a cool design feature is the hidden hinges on the Deadrise Zero skiff. I'm really proud of my skiff from a structural standpoint, with the crowned deck and the bulkhead layout. The deep gutters on the HB skiffs are commonplace now, but I think they were one of the first to take that approach. There are plenty of opportunities to incorporate cool ideas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Hope you aren't scrapping the current project! In my personal opinion, the big differences in most of the "modern" poling skiffs is in the deck layout (and fit/finish). There are tons of opportunities to get creative and push the envelope. It's also where you can add or save a bunch of weight, and really affect the stiffness/strength of the hull. An example of a cool design feature is the hidden hinges on the Deadrise Zero skiff. I'm really proud of my skiff from a structural standpoint, with the crowned deck and the bulkhead layout. The deep gutters on the HB skiffs are commonplace now, but I think they were one of the first to take that approach. There are plenty of opportunities to incorporate cool ideas.
Oh no I’m definitely not scrapping this thing. It’s like 95% done and it’s a great boat. I’ll finish it out nice and either run it myself or sell it, but I can’t pull a mold off of it and bring it to market after Chris expressed his objections. Plus, it’s clear to me that it’d never shake the CF imitator perception, which is not what I want. Plus, I’ve been thinking about going a different direction anyway with a larger 17-18 ft boat that can also be produced as a shorter one to satisfy the folks who want a skiff that’ll fit in a garage readily.
This skiff will remain as what I originally intended it to be: a build on which I further honed my skills and knowledge a ton, and a great little boat for me and/or someone else to enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread was a wild ride!!

Sam strikes me as a very driven and capable young man who maybe just got a bit overzealous and lacked some tact in a few of his posts re improving on other's designs. Productive and confident young people in skiff design is a great thing, even though they may put their foot in their mouth a few times.

I hope this thread continues and we get a new thread for the next design.

Here's to second chances :).

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I'm not sure Chris objects to you selling a version of his design as others are doing so. but maybe he made an arrangement with them I don't know. maybe he didn't like his designs being compared to a dorito lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I'm not sure Chris objects to you selling a version of his design as others are doing so. but maybe he made an arrangement with them I don't know. maybe he didn't like his designs being compared to a dorito lol.
Again, not my intention, though I can see how it was taken that way. Will be more careful with how I word things, lesson learned!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
This thread was a wild ride!!

Sam strikes me as a very driven and capable young man who maybe just got a bit overzealous and lacked some tact in a few of his posts re improving on other's designs. Productive and confident young people in skiff design is a great thing, even though they may put their foot in their mouth a few times.

I hope this thread continues and we get a new thread for the next design.

Here's to second chances :).
Thanks for the kind words. Definitely won’t be the last boat I ever build.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts