Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody replaced their Simrad NSS evo3 with the new model, NSS evo3S? How is it different/better? Are the cables the same for both so as to facilitate removal and installation?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can't offer any comparisons yet, but did find out from Simrad that the cables are the same--so just an easy swap of one unit for the other. In my case, I'm going from the NSS evo3 9" to the new NSS evo3S 12" so I'l have to switch out the brackets.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've got the 9 as well, and would be curious if the new model is actually worth upgrading to. Seems like my current transducer would also be inadequate to utilize the new imaging? I also don't think I use it enough to justify the costs, but we don't have the fancy mapping you FL guys have access to either.

·
Registered
213 Posts
DB, if you don't mind could you please post up a picture of the new NSS evo3S 12" when you get it mounted on your skiff? Just trying get an idea of scale with the 12" screen on a skiff console. Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
614 Posts
DB, if you don't mind could you please post up a picture of the new NSS evo3S 12" when you get it mounted on your skiff? Just trying get an idea of scale with the 12" screen on a skiff console. Thanks
May I suggest going on line and getting the dimensions. Then make a paper cut out using the dimensions. Has worked well for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thank you and appreciated! Looking at a cardboard imitation is just not the same as seeing the actual unit mounted on a similar sized console. I currently have a flush mounted Simrad GO9 and would like to upgrade to the NSS, and possibly even get away from the flush mount.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure, I'll take a few pic's and try to highlight some differences that I note. The only reason I'm upgrading is my 9" evo3 failed and I took advantage of a good upgrade opportunity. Before using it, one thing I've read about is a much faster processor. The new model offers total integration to Simrad products, a new IMBX8 processor, superior sonar performance and improved pre-loaded charts. Other differences I've read about include something called "SolarMAX IPS display" to ensure clear views in any conditions, fully visible through polarized sunglasses. It also features all-weather touchscreen and keypad for total control, all the time. Faster page changes, smoother transitions and multi-tasking.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's perfect, thank you very much! Love the clear line of sight as I always feel like I am always looking through my steering wheel. I have considered going with a tilt wheel but not sure the $$ would justify the improvement.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I won't be getting the new NSS evo3S, at least not the 12" and not from Simrad as a replacement for the NSS evo3 9" that crapped out on me (two months after the two year warranty expired). I sent it back to Simrad on September 15. It was bench tested on the 21st and found to have failed and determined to be beyond repair. After many email messages and phone calls, I found out today that they have no inventory and the earliest I could get my replacement is end of October. They refused to help me in any way: work with local retailer to extend the credit they were going to give me on the new eov3S 12"; offer any type of discount or extended warranty on other modes; nada. Basically, they said "tuff stuff". So, reluctantly I ordered a replacement 9" in the new model that the e-tailer discounted 5% and gave me an extended warranty (3 years). Not a happy camper with Simrad customer "service" or tech support.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Well that sucks but not sure what you expected Simrad to do? The problem is where does that train stop. Well its only two months out. Well its only 6 months out. That said I guess they could have offered you a discount on a new unit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, I won't be getting the new NSS evo3S, at least not the 12" and not from Simrad as a replacement for the NSS evo3 9" that crapped out on me (two months after the two year warranty expired). I sent it back to Simrad on September 15. It was bench tested on the 21st and found to have failed and determined to be beyond repair. After many email messages and phone calls, I found out today that they have no inventory and the earliest I could get my replacement is end of October. They refused to help me in any way: work with local retailer to extend the credit they were going to give me on the new eov3S 12"; offer any type of discount or extended warranty on other modes; nada. Basically, they said "tuff stuff". So, reluctantly I ordered a replacement 9" in the new model that the e-tailer discounted 5% and gave me an extended warranty (3 years). Not a happy camper with Simrad customer "service" or tech support.
sorry to hear DB. Next time take a look at the Raymarime Axiom Plus!

Reactions: DBStoots
1 - 18 of 18 Posts