Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas for a replacement side console for my 17' skiff. I like the idea of nothing on the floor under the console. maybe tube structure mounted to the floor and side tank with a fiberglass top?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I recently ordered new Beavertail Mosquito with side console because I wanted to open area in cockpit also. Took a ride in BT Strike and liked the amount of room available w/ side console. My understanding hull is in the mold now! Won't be long!

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
I have 2 tinnys. Both have side-consoles. These are my first experiences with side-console boats. I like them...BUT...if I had to do it over again, I'd make them HIGHER. I'd like to be able to stand/crouch rather than sit all of the time. If I wanted to sit, I could simply make the seat a bit higher behind the STANDING-Height side-console. Just FYI.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Looking for ideas for a replacement side console for my 17' skiff. I like the idea of nothing on the floor under the console. maybe tube structure mounted to the floor and side tank with a fiberglass top?
Check out the Skiff Shop in Edgewater, FL. From their IG page they have a new mold for side consoles, looks like its similar to some of the Watermans, supported from the side.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
568 Posts
I recently ordered new Beavertail Mosquito with side console because I wanted to open area in cockpit also. Took a ride in BT Strike and liked the amount of room available w/ side console. My understanding hull is in the mold now! Won't be long!
Side consoles are awesome but only complaint is they should figure out how to make them 4 to 8 inches higher so a 6' person doesn't have to hunch so much to drive standing up. Would be safer to to be able to comfortably hold onto wheel and throttle. Rod access on starboard side might be better too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Side consoles are awesome but only complaint is they should figure out how to make them 4 to 8 inches higher so a 6' person doesn't have to hunch so much to drive standing up. Would be safer to to be able to comfortably hold onto wheel and throttle. Rod access on starboard side might be better too.
My son just did a hewes like you are requesting ,should be on an upcoming dream boat I believe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Both rod access and the ability to stand & drive were (are) a concern but the ability to move around & feel safer (without tightness of CC) as I am getting older is a bigger concern. Side console vs center can be argued several ways. Hopefully, being 5 ft. 10" will allow me to stand & operate, if not, I will adjust. Looking forward to mid January pick up date @ Liz & Will's!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen a few boats with the console set to the side. This seems better for a narrow boat like mine. Height is also a concern. most consoles 30" high are very wide and 25" is too low to stand.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love my 2008 B2 side console. Lots of space. I can put 4 fly rods on port side and use console for a spinner and a spike. I think the answer to the low console and crouching might be to have a telescoping steering wheel. The advantage of the low console position for fly guys is that it is out of the way. Bad enough catching my tibor push pole holder on the tower all the time-lol. I run a 60 merc with no jack. Can get up in 1 foot run in 6 inch and poles in 4" with motor up. Love it. I use a small battery to help keep weight down in stern. I probably would go with less motor if it didnt come with it. I can hit 35 easily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts