Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
The on sale Stradic, I picked up two for 130@. The new Spheros inshore? The old FB in the smaller sizes were great, tough reels. Some depends on how big of Tarpon you are fishing for. I typically use a 1-3k for reds unless fishing for bulls. The Nasci 5k is a compact size and pretty smooth but no CF drag which would give an edge to the new Spheros. I have a Ballistic LT and haven’t been overly impressed with it and the drag was sticky. Changed to Cala greased CF and it is better.
The Stellar lite 12-20 FT is a great all around rod. There are a ton of great rods out now in the 100 range.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
The on sale Stradic, I picked up two for 130@. The new Spheros inshore? The old FB in the smaller sizes were great, tough reels. Some depends on how big of Tarpon you are fishing for. I typically use a 1-3k for reds unless fishing for bulls. The Nasci 5k is a compact size and pretty smooth but no CF drag which would give an edge to the new Spheros. I have a Ballistic LT and haven’t been overly impressed with it and the drag was sticky. Changed to Cala greased CF and it is better.
The Stellar lite 12-20 FT is a great all around rod. There are a ton of great rods out now in the 100 range.
Well I am strict with my reel sizes. I always go with the 4K or 3K. My area hits you with anything, 15in reds to 30in bulls. Tarpon aren’t big here unless your in certain areas, lot of 5lb to 30lb around here. So the fish are all around the same size. But anything below or above that is hard to use. Maybe a 5k will work but your trying to catch 40in snook, 40in bulls and big ass tarpon.

A 5k Stradic will work on the right rod. My buddy caught a 100# bridge Tarpon on a 5k Stradic and 10-20 Terramar. We both use these combos at the bridges for tarpon and snook. It’s nice because we can throw artificial all night but still have the stopping power.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
A 5k Stradic will work on the right rod. My buddy caught a 100# bridge Tarpon on a 5k Stradic and 10-20 Terramar. We both use these combos at the bridges for tarpon and snook. It’s nice because we can throw artificial all night but still have the stopping power.
Surprisingly they sell cheap used and they still work like butter. Definitely gonna get one after I buy a new setup.

Yeah the conflict is nice. Penn has some quality products. I just need something with some real backbone and will really pull fish outta the groves, under bridges and oysters. I do a lot of lure fishing so that’s not a problem with selecting something as long as it’s not small. Might get a Dan James St. Croix or a Shimano and slap a FFP or Shimano on there. Sill thinking about a Penn or Daiwa.
You can never go wrong with a Penn lol. I prefer the Battle, very smooth
I used to be strictly a Penn guy growing up. I started having issues after the conflicts came out. I had (4) 3000 Conflicts. I warrantied and returned (3) of them because the locked up or felt like meat grinders. I take exceptional care of my stuff. I have (3) Penn conquers that I still use and are almost 7 years old. Penn has fallen off lately. I have switched to shimanos and haven’t looked back. I’d recommend a Stradic in 4000/5000 (depending on how much backbone you want.

when it comes to rods I am a Star Rod guy through and through. I love my Seagis and Plasmas. They have good warranty’s.

I would recommend a Star Seagis 7’ 10-20 with a 4000 stradic. If you go with a 7’6” 10-20 I’d run a 5000 stradic.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.