Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am now on the market for a new rod a reel due to mine being stolen. Me and my buddy were stupid enough to chase some big snook and leave our $300 (mine) and $1000 (my buddy’s) set ups unattended. Can’t believe it to be honest. So, I need some new recommendations. Lots of new stuff out there and I wanna know if it’s worth trying. My set up that was stolen was an 4000 size Penn and a 6’6” MH Penn. I want something along those lines, maybe even a little bigger. The St. Croix and Star rods caught my eye along with some Shimano reels. Looking to target good snook, tarpon and reds. (I live in the Tampa/Clearwater area)

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can't go wrong with a St Croix paired with a penn battle scaled to whatever size fish your after. I have also recently fell in love with my spinfisher 6500 combo(not the live liner) with the 6'6" jigging rod. It has straight worn out some big fish in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ive been an exclusive Shimano Stradic and G Loomis rod guy for years. When it came time to replace my last Stradic that I was tired of rebuilding, I grabbed a Daiwa BG 3000 at half the price of my stradics. It’s a little heavier than I’m used to, but has been good to me so far. Normal abuse, but the drag hasn’t been tested further than a few 24” red drum so time will tell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't go wrong with a St Croix paired with a penn battle scaled to whatever size fish your after. I have also recently fell in love with my spinfisher 6500 combo(not the live liner) with the 6'6" jigging rod. It has straight worn out some big fish in the last 2 years.
Yeah, Penn has always been a good alternative to something a little cheaper. My buddy uses some big Penn combos for 150 lb tarpon! I’ll look into those as well, thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been an exclusive Shimano Stradic and G Loomis rod guy for years. When it came time to replace my last Stradic that I was tired of rebuilding, I grabbed a Daiwa BG 3000 at half the price of my stradics. It’s a little heavier than I’m used to, but has been good to me so far. Normal abuse, but the drag hasn’t been tested further than a few 24” red drum so time will tell.
Daiwa has also caught my eye. How is dose that G Loomis handle fish? And how dose it cast with those types of reels?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Daiwa has also caught my eye. How is dose that G Loomis handle fish? And how dose it cast with those types of reels?
I love the Loomis rods, and to be honest, they fight just fine, and are super light. However, I'm becoming more practical with what I'm spending on fishing gear so the last 2 rods I have purchased were Shimano Teramars (also half the price) and they seem to be better balanced for the slightly heavier BGs.

I always go into my tackle shop and have them put the reel I'm looking at on the rod I want so I can feel the setup. You want to make sure your combo is comfortable to you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all,

I am now on the market for a new rod a reel due to mine being stolen. Me and my buddy were stupid enough to chase some big snook and leave our $300 (mine) and $1000 (my buddy’s) set ups unattended. Can’t believe it to be honest. So, I need some new recommendations. Lots of new stuff out there and I wanna know if it’s worth trying. My set up that was stolen was an 4000 size Penn and a 6’6” MH Penn. I want something along those lines, maybe even a little bigger. The St. Croix and Star rods caught my eye along with some Shimano reels. Looking to target good snook, tarpon and reds. (I live in the Tampa/Clearwater area)

Thanks
I am not in your Snook area, although I have fished for snook in the Pine Island region near Captiva, etc. several times. I fish for Striped Bass, Bluefish, Bonito, and False Albacore in Mass/RI so I have a similar harsh environment. For years i have fished Shimano Stradics and TFO rods with no complaints. Recently i have purchased a few setups in slightly different sizes - Penn Conflict Reels with Tica "Graphite" series rods. So far they have performed well but they are new.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not in your Snook area, although I have fished for snook in the Pine Island region near Captiva, etc. several times. I fish for Striped Bass, Bluefish, Bonito, and False Albacore in Mass/RI so I have a similar harsh environment. For years i have fished Shimano Stradics and TFO rods with no complaints. Recently i have purchased a few setups in slightly different sizes - Penn Conflict Reels with Tica "Graphite" series rods. So far they have performed well but they are new.
Yeah the conflict is nice. Penn has some quality products. I just need something with some real backbone and will really pull fish outta the groves, under bridges and oysters. I do a lot of lure fishing so that’s not a problem with selecting something as long as it’s not small. Might get a Dan James St. Croix or a Shimano and slap a FFP or Shimano on there. Sill thinking about a Penn or Daiwa.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
462 Posts
Opinions are like kittens...everyone is giving them away...but I'll throw mine in. I have tried various St. Croix rods, Falcon rods, Shimano rods, Daiwa rods, G Loomis rods, Crowder rods, TFO rods, Fenwick rods...and what I have several of in my arsenal at this point are St. Croix Avid Inshore rods. They have quite a few different actions and I find them to be a good value for the quality, durability, casting distance and guide setup. I REALLY like the Daiwa Ballistics I have paired with them but they are developing quite a bit of surface corrosion. The Daiwa Tatulas have actually held up better and are less expensive. And you can't go wrong with a Stradic either. You'll be in for over $400 though. Under $300 i would go with a Daiwa Tatula and a Fenwick HMG.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Shimano Fk is on sale for $169 on Amazon. I also second the Terramar. Fantastic rod for the money especially for snook and tarpon. The stradic FK 5k handle is awesome.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Penn Battle 2 but I like the Penn Clash a little better. The Clash series reels are a lighter weight version of the Battle 2. And Star rods are great and come with a great warranty.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Opinions are like kittens...everyone is giving them away...but I'll throw mine in. I have tried various St. Croix rods, Falcon rods, Shimano rods, Daiwa rods, G Loomis rods, Crowder rods, TFO rods, Fenwick rods...and what I have several of in my arsenal at this point are St. Croix Avid Inshore rods. They have quite a few different actions and I find them to be a good value for the quality, durability, casting distance and guide setup. I REALLY like the Daiwa Ballistics I have paired with them but they are developing quite a bit of surface corrosion. The Daiwa Tatulas have actually held up better and are less expensive. And you can't go wrong with a Stradic either. You'll be in for over $400 though. Under $300 i would go with a Daiwa Tatula and a Fenwick HMG.
The St. Croix rods are something. I’ve determined that it’s either gonna be a Dan James (custom :D) or an St. Croix. Dan James because they are local and are GREAT rods and St. Croixs simply because every vouches for them. I’ve never heard anyone say something bad about them. Reels is another thing though. Shimano... Daiwa, Florida Fishing Products... Like jeez, how many freaking reels are smooth, good value and just plain good looking! This is to hard

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shimano Fk is on sale for $169 on Amazon. I also second the Terramar. Fantastic rod for the money especially for snook and tarpon. The stradic FK 5k handle is awesome.
I did see that, thanks for the reminder. A good reel

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't go wrong with the Penn Battle 2 but I like the Penn Clash a little better. The Clash series reels are a lighter weight version of the Battle 2. And Star rods are great and come with a great warranty.
You can never go wrong with a Penn lol. I prefer the Battle, very smooth

1 - 20 of 26 Posts