Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got bit by the fly bug last summer after picking up an 8 at Sage Foundation combo. I’d like to purchase a new primary setup and use the foundation as backup. I currently fish the Texas gulf coast (primarily Galveston bay) and while sight casting to singles is possible, the majority of time I am blind casting or targeting schools between 30-60’. While my casting has improved from when I started, I’d rate my ability between a beginner and intermediate.

Based on searching previous threads, I’m guessing a 7 wt would likely fit the bill?My reasoning being it would be beneficial for turning larger redfish flies and provide a bit more casting ability in windy conditions (I have two boys under three so I can’t choose my fishing days). Additionally, what midrange setups (<$1000) would y’all recommend? I’ll obviously test rods at the shop but figured it would help to have some idea of where to start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GLoomis CrossCurrent Pro-1 7 weight - $460 /Tibor Backcountry Wide aprox $300-425/ Cortland Liquid Crystal Guide 7 weight line $90
I got this same rod last year, and I absolutely love it. The only down side is you can't take it on a plane easily.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,297 Posts
If you are careful, you can squeeze the 1 pc rods into most vehicles, but the Loomis IMX Pro 7wt four piece would be a good alternative to the 1 pc Cross Current. If your budget allows, NRX 7wt is also a good choice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are careful, you can squeeze the 1 pc rods into most vehicles, but the Loomis IMX Pro 7wt four piece would be a good alternative to the 1 pc Cross Current. If your budget allows, NRX 7wt is also a good choice.
How does the NRX 7 compare to the 8? Same rod scaled down or does it act differently?

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Just curious as to what's up with your current rod?
Make model etc. of it's fly line?

What are your expectations for a new rod?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The current rod, sage foundation, seems to be a bit overkill for most of the slot reds and trout that I catch. Additionally, I need to send it into sage to have a warranty repair made as one of the wraps around an eye has begun to peel off.

I am using SA frequency saltwater. I plan to upgrade this to SA grand slam to help at shorter distances.

I’m hoping the new rod will have a bit more finesse for fighting the size fish I typically catch. I figure a six or seven weight should also be a bit less of a workout during my blind casting endeavors. I also would just like to have two rods available as when I send in my current rod for repairs I’ll be without a rod.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There are other rods besides G Loomis ya know......

Also, don't think of your 8 wt as backup. Think of it as your heavy fly/windy day rod. A 6 wt is my personal favorite inshore rod and is an awesome pair to the 8 wt to have on the skiff. Very delicate, easy on the arm, and a blast to catch reds/trout on. Maybe if you could only have one rod, get the 7. If you already have a decent 8, get a 6. Just opens up more applications for you. If you like the foundation, try another Sage. Maybe a used One or X off ebay/classifieds. Every rod is different but most manufactures have a consistent "feel" to them. So if you like Sage, try another. Try some Loomis rods as suggested above and maybe those will feel perfect for you. If you are advancing in your cast, now is the time to test some different rods and manufacturers because one will fit your cast better than the rest.

Good Luck!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,297 Posts
How does the NRX 7 compare to the 8? Same rod scaled down or does it act differently?
I still have the NRX 8wt 1 pc, but I sold the NRX 7wt 4 pc to make room for new Asquiths and IMX Pro 1pc rods. Not apples to apples comparison but the 4pc NRX 7 had a softer tip than the 1pc NRX 8, a classic one pc fly rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
363 Posts
I am with SJROBIN on the NRX 7 vs. 8. I LOVE THE ONE PC 8!!! The 4pc 7 has a much softer tip almost like a wet noodle. I sold my 7, but have three NRX 8s, ...... just in case. The eight is one of the best rods I have ever casted.

BTW, I have a never been fished CC Pro 1, 7 weight I would like to sell.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
SA, Cortland make up most of my lines. As I sure you've been told, you are not "casting" the fly, but the line.
I take a rod manufacturers weight as a suggestion for the line weight. (there are some very good fly fishermen who may disagree :) )
I use a rods weight as the starting point for testing how well it "loads the rod". For what ever reason there are some who over line a rod for specific conditions, like short casts or wind. To me that's handicapping the rod. I get the best results with the least effort using what I consider the "proper line weight" which I determine by casting various line weights.
Unfortunately you can only learn what I mean from experience.

There's a good chance that your 8 wt with a quality line that loads the rod properly will take it up a few notches in how well it casts and "feel",
that could be an 8 wt line, or higher/lower.

Here's where buying from a local shop can help. Some have display rods which you can cast. They might let you try casting a line from one of these rods on your rod.

As for a new rod I agree with Pierson that for a second rod going to a 6 might be the way to go.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The IMX pro 7wt is nice and 4 piece which makes it nice to travel with. Tibor is nice but you can find some very nice nautilus for a fair price, and they have a sealed drag.

·
Registered
352 Posts
all the top rods are good listed above. If you want to spend a bit less i would suggest the orvis recon or tfo axiom 2.

buy SA grand slam taper as the front load will help the bigger flies and in my opinion it is a taper with a lot of feel.

Dont go crazy on the reel... i love redfish fishing, but unless they are giants i would not consider them a high perfomance drag testing fish. Just get something decent that is sturdy and machined.

for what its worth my 8wt setup is an orvis recon, sa grand slam taper, galvan t8 reel.
my 7wt was ( i just replaced with the tfo listed above ) hardy proaxis 7wt, sa grand slam, bauer reel.

Unless money is no option get a rod that is less than $450 like i listed. The extra 5% the top high cost rods might give you, you honestly will not be able to access if you are just starting out.

good luck

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have yet to fish a one piece that is so much better than a 4 piece to get me to buy one given the travel limitations.

I'd look at a Sage SaltHD 6wt. Since you already have an 8 I'd rather have a 6 and the HD is plenty stout to use on a bit of a windy day. And if its that windy then you are going to use the 8 primarily anyway.

PS - just saw a guy selling a Method 6wt with a Nautilus reel and fly line for $700 in the classifieds section.....that would be worth a look. The method is a very very nice rod.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Got bit by the fly bug last summer after picking up an 8 at Sage Foundation combo. I’d like to purchase a new primary setup and use the foundation as backup.
I suggest you get another 8 wt rod, and use the line and reel you have for a bit.

Then try another 8 wt line that might fit the way you cast/fish better.

After you're happy with your rod and line pairing, then get another reel to make a back-up combo out of your old rod and line.

Only change one thing at a time.

And as for building a rod quiver you should go all even, or all odd, then backfill the gaps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot to mention that I visit the Florida panhandle a few times a year and would bring the rod with me. As such, I plan to stick with a 4 piece.

Also, don't think of your 8 wt as backup. Think of it as your heavy fly/windy day rod. A 6 wt is my personal favorite inshore rod and is an awesome pair to the 8 wt to have on the skiff. Very delicate, easy on the arm, and a blast to catch reds/trout on. Maybe if you could only have one rod, get the 7. If you already have a decent 8, get a 6. Just opens up more applications for you.
Didn’t think of it like that - will definitely consider a 6. The concern I had was as being relatively new to fly fishing a 6 wt could prove to be a bit more difficult. However, if I have my 8 on the boat wind shouldn’t be a problem.

There's a good chance that your 8 wt with a quality line that loads the rod properly will take it up a few notches in how well it casts and "feel",
that could be an 8 wt line, or higher/lower.

Here's where buying from a local shop can help. Some have display rods which you can cast. They might let you try casting a line from one of these rods on your rod.

As for a new rod I agree with Pierson that for a second rod going to a 6 might be the way to go.
I have SA grand slam on order and expect it to improve the feel of the foundation. I’ll be testing and purchasing from the local shop.

PS - just saw a guy selling a Method 6wt with a Nautilus reel and fly line for $700 in the classifieds section.....that would be worth a look. The method is a very very nice rod.
While I understand buying used would likely be the best fiscal decision and allow flexibility in trying out new rods, I’m a big proponent of supporting small, local businesses.

I suggest you get another 8 wt rod, and use the line and reel you have for a bit.

Then try another 8 wt line that might fit the way you cast/fish better.

After you're happy with your rod and line pairing, then get another reel to make a back-up combo out of your old rod and line.

Only change one thing at a time.

And as for building a rod quiver you should go all even, or all odd, then backfill the gaps.
I definitely understand the logic behind this. However, I feel like a tournament bass fisherman every time I hook into a slot fish.

I appreciate everyone’s input!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts