Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up what I believe is a 1972 Stumpnocker 144 (measures exactly 14'4"). The boat needs a little TLC. I want the community’s input on the build. The two main build components up for debate is:

1.) Should I install a fishing deck, or keep it as is and add a front fold down seat?

2.) Should I install a bow mounted trolling motor or a stern mounted trolling motor?

Additional inform: Fishing styles: Mostly solo fishing on northern freshwater lakes- troll (w/outboard) for trout & pike 30%, fly-fish 20%, and bass fish 50% (using trolling motor).

My concern for the fishing deck is the impact on the seating. My fishing buddy (girlfriend) would have to either seat on the middle livewells or sit backwards on the deck. Also, the project would cost at least $200 +10 hours labor.

Thank you-

Attachments

·
If it ain't broke tweak it a little....
254 Posts
I have a 15' Johnsen skiff that had a similar layout. Having your passenger sit on the Port side livewell should bring the bow down nicely once on plane. I love the front deck on mine and would install if you plan on fly fishing. I use a Minnkota 55 on the bow but don't fly fish.

·
Brandon, FL
10,148 Posts
I would build a deck. Then I would build a step to make it easy to get up on the deck and I would mount a removable pedestal seat on the step (slightly offset to opposite side you will be sitting while driving). That way you and your girl can switch places if you are fly fishing and/or using the troller.

There is no perfect boat and our opinions are just that, ours. You have to decide what it is that you want. You have the canvas, make it yours.

That is a great hull to modify for your fishing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with the casting deck, still pending on the transom mount vs. bow mount trolling motor. My next two built components up for debate are:

- What size portable tank should I install and where should I putt it?
- Should I install/glass-in a 2” PVC rigging tube along the inside sidewall?

Additional Info: I have a 2007 20 HP Honda 4 stroke short shaft. I was thinking of a 9-gallon tank and mounitng the tank under the casting deck. I don’t make long runs but would like the additional weight in the bow and less fills ups. If I install the tank up front, I was thinking of installing/glassing in a 2” rigging tube to hide the fuel line. Thoughts?

·
Brandon, FL
10,148 Posts
Slide it in under the deck. Glass in a half circle where the floor and side board meet to run the line. Do same on the othe side to run electrical lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts