Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've know Acetone and alcohol will remove cured 4200 with a bit of work, has anyone used “Un-Hesive” or can recommend anything new that works better than the old standby?

Thx

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,265 Posts
I realize I replied faster than I processed...I guess I had removing accessories that were sealed and fastened with 4200, not actually removing the residual 4200 after the accessory was removed. Heat will get it off too just don’t heat up gelcoat or awlgrip too much.
If you have any accessories screwed down with 3M 4200 or 5200 you can get the aluminum hot with a heat gun while applying constant pressure and it will eventually release. I did this a lot at the aluminum shop when removing leaning posts, t tops, platforms etc. The most recent was when I removed the poling platform on my Maverick (thin cored deck) where I layed down a piece of 3/4” plywood on the deck under the platform and jacked up the platform with a 2x4 and another piece of plywood under the platform deck crossmember. I got a little pressure on it (not enough to bend anything) and heated each aluminum pad up with a heat gun and after a few minutes it just popped off.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smack - You were thinking correctly. I should have provided more info. I’m removing two back rest base plates. I got a bit too generous with a bead of 4200 around the base plates. You know, if some is good, more MUST be better. Your talking to the king of caulk.

Good info from all

Thx

·
I Love microskiff.com!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...if anyone is interested, I’ll be pulling the base plates and then selling the Birdsall backrest. One season of very light use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts