Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
God Bless
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m getting a new mud boat built and just want to get my ducks in a row.
The base coat will be a tan from the company and I would like to spray it a chocolate brown and them apply camo. I have done roll on type of stuff to previous boats (duralux) but I’m not starting from bare aluminum on this one. So no alum oxide primer is needed.
Just need a recommendation on a resilient paint brand that can be sprayed right on top the factories base coat? I appreciate any help. God Bless

B

·
0 Posts
Gonna need more info on the factory’s base coat and then I can maybe reccomend a compatible product. For metal, I am a fan of the valspar lic 40 urethane paint. But the base needs to be a 2k urethane or the solvents will lift the base.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I painted an old job boat years ago with PPG AMERLOCK 400 and it worked like a champ... could get it in almost any color and the price wasn't to bad... we use the stuff at work and its pretty tough to beat.. PM me if u have any questions on thinners if u go with it...

·
God Bless
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I painted an old job boat years ago with PPG AMERLOCK 400 and it worked like a champ... could get it in almost any color and the price wasn't to bad... we use the stuff at work and its pretty tough to beat.. PM me if u have any questions on thinners if u go with it...
Surely man is that a two part ? I know ppg products are good stuff!

Thanks buck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes it's a 2 part.... slow kick off time and long shelf life ... if I can shoot it and make it look good anyone can....

B

·
0 Posts
I have spoken to the OP and the Factory paint is a single component paint so no 2k will work without extensive prep work. So he is probably just gonna get a qt of the factory paint in the right color. Rattle cans can get very costly on a project this size so I can understand why that isn’t amd option also.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
When you come on a forum to get advice on a particular subject and this guy comes along............ pffffff

The paint be it a factory job, DIY or the spray painted variety does/did not last on mud boats I’ve been around. The bottom, sticks, trees, brush, etc.... take a serious toll on the finish.... so yes. If it’s going to get used like the mud boats I’ve seen then spray paint it and move on. Touch up is much easier to match than other finishes.

I do not know how or where you are going to run your boat. Maybe you won’t run it like most guys who own them. Just making judgments from the past that I’ve seen. Sorry if I hurt your feelers on this one.

·
God Bless
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it's a 2 part.... slow kick off time and long shelf life ... if I can shoot it and make it look good anyone can....
Thanks man for the help! I will keep that PPG knowledge for future purposes and my potnas projects. I don’t think it will work here. I’m going over a brand new base coat and was informed that a 2 part will eat this single stage up. But again that’s for the chime in brother.

B

·
0 Posts
It’s not a single stage, it is a single component oil based alkyd enamel so pretty much any 2k product will be a complete strip amd epoxy primer job before it can be applied.

·
God Bless
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be fair. That answer may suit someone just fine. How is he to know the level of quality you are looking for without you first providing that info? Plus it’s funny.
Oh ok, that’s cute. I guess you the middle man.....but, i’ll Elaborate on your comment.
well my question was pretty specific on a particular product to use and how to use it through a spray gun. Trying to a achieve coverage with a good product that isn’t just shaker can quality. So to be “fair”, The comment made, had nothing to do with my question. To me, if you don’t know or can’t advise any specifics on the question at hand, it’s easy....... move along. I wasn’t asking for what some else thinks I need to do. Cause truly that advice was the obvious, mud boat = spray paint right? I also stated I’ve done others and wanted to go a different route. And then the price of rattle can to do an entire 1751.......You add that up. Compared to a quart of some good 2 part or enamel?
So you see the only thing that was funny was that fact that the comment didn’t even need to be made. Some people just don’t know how to move along.

·
God Bless
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The paint be it a factory job, DIY or the spray painted variety does/did not last on mud boats I’ve been around. The bottom, sticks, trees, brush, etc.... take a serious toll on the finish.... so yes. If it’s going to get used like the mud boats I’ve seen then spray paint it and move on. Touch up is much easier to match than other finishes.

I do not know how or where you are going to run your boat. Maybe you won’t run it like most guys who own them. Just making judgments from the past that I’ve seen. Sorry if I hurt your feelers on this one.
Haha No feeling were hurt here cap. Just was looking for some help on the specifics I had asked. Forums nowadays are filled with less info and a lot of cuteness. You did good. Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh ok, that’s cute. I guess you the middle man.....but, i’ll Elaborate on your comment.
well my question was pretty specific on a particular product to use and how to use it through a spray gun. Trying to a achieve coverage with a good product that isn’t just shaker can quality. So to be “fair”, The comment made, had nothing to do with my question. To me, if you don’t know or can’t advise any specifics on the question at hand, it’s easy....... move along. I wasn’t asking for what some else thinks I need to do. Cause truly that advice was the obvious, mud boat = spray paint right? I also stated I’ve done others and wanted to go a different route. And then the price of rattle can to do an entire 1751.......You add that up. Compared to a quart of some good 2 part or enamel?
So you see the only thing that was funny was that fact that the comment didn’t even need to be made. Some people just don’t know how to move along.

·
Brandon, FL
10,103 Posts
Resized_IMAG0046_221948684773977.jpg
To get the most realistic Camo you need to start with the lightest color and subsequent layers need to be darker. Start with tan, then light green, dark green, brown and a little black.

I did mine by taking poster board and cut out a weed shape and then spray painted the cut out. Vary the size and shapes.

Rustoleum and Krylon have good paint and both of their greens are different shades so use both. No need to get special paint

·
God Bless
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
To get the most realistic Camo you need to start with the lightest color and subsequent layers need to be darker. Start with tan, then light green, dark green, brown and a little black.

I did mine by taking poster board and cut out a weed shape and then spray painted the cut out. Vary the size and shapes.

Rustoleum and Krylon have good paint and both of their greens are different shades so use both. No need to get special paint
Thanks buck! I have paint and camo’d 3 other boats I had and I agree with you all the way on that. This route I’m going with something different to really match the marsh I hunt in Louisiana and Mississippi. Appreciate ya brah!

That’s a bang up job on that paint layout brah.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,169 Posts
I like to do things right, but mud boat paint is not the place for emotional investment. Don't bother with camo patterns; they are too hard to touch up after you scratch them up. Pick a single color that seems right and hose down the whole thing. I like oil based marine enamel because it is pretty reasonably priced, I can spray it using an airless sprayer and it sticks to anything with minimal prep even with mud motor grease on it. It will eventual cure to be very hard... ...but it is kinda soft until after the first full summer. I touch up the gouges every now and again when I think about it. The mottled effect from the various paint applications is kinda like camo and when I bounce off a stump in the dark, I don't give a damn.

Nate

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I will move right along as should you. First we must evaluate your original post and this one. You were not specific about any product because you can’t even provide the product description you will be painting over. If you were not asking someone else what you should do, then what exactly was your post asking? No time for righteous aholes like you. If you can’t have a little fun here, then join another forum. We joke and rag on each other around here and also provide both useful and useless info. I’m one of the nicest assholes you might ever meet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts