NEW MODEL ANNOUNCEMENT ISLAMORADA 18 SS "Super Shallow"

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by George_Sawley, May 22, 2010.

1. George_Sawley

George_Sawley I Love microskiff.com!

We will be cutting into a 18 hull this week to build a running test plug. The specs on this new model, 18 overall, 3.9 draft with 2 people, 2 degree dead rise, under 400 pounds before rigging. The construction will be the same as well as the standard features as the Islamorada 18. We will offer this new boat with a side console or tiller at $48,000.00.

We have reduced the cost of this skiff buy eliminating the deck liner, center console with ice box and a hatch, this also reduced labor and weight.

I will post photos as we progress.

2. skinnywater3

skinnywater3 Well-Known Member

Sounds amazing! Looking forward to seeing this boat

3. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

This will be cool to see. Keep us in the loop.

4. capt_gordon

capt_gordon Goin where the climate suits my clothes.

Does that really say $48,000 for a side console flats skifff?

5. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Pocket change right? I thought the same thing. WTF 48K? Then I went and priced other premium brand skiffs, guess what. They are all in that price range.

6. capt_gordon

I must not be a premium brand person because I can't see it. I thought it was a misprint at first.

7. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

What I can't see is quoting draft numbers down to a tenth of an inch (3.9). With 2 people I'd think you'd have to know what they ate the night before and......

8. capt_gordon

3.9 inch draft is just so they can say they draft less than the Copperhead. Mel I think you have totally changed the market with our little boat.

9. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I see that same trick at the gas station done in reverse.

Gas is now $2.999....just say $3!
    3.9 inches.....just say 4 inches!
    Heck, the day you took those numbers you should have kicked your shoes off into the water. the extra weight savings could have justified 3.89"
    That would have really offset the price premium! ::)
    lol

Bust seriously, good luck with the skiff. You guys make some truely amazing skiffs. They are just out of my price range. For that price I would buy an ECC Vantage and have enough left over for an Ankona SUV. I don't mind a slightly lower level of fit-n-finish!
    -Lower middle class slob out! ;D

10. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Just wanted to say thanks for posting here on microskiff.com and giving us a chance to preview the boat [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Looking forward to seeing more.

11. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

looking forward to see some more.... :)

My Gheenoe NMZ special floats 4 inches with 2 people and only cost me $1850 bare hull before the mods . :p

12. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Why does everyone bash expensive boats? When you see a Ferrari driving down the road, do you think "well...my Mustang can ALMOST do what that does and it's WAY cheaper!" or do you think "wow! Look at that car!" It's a PREMIUM skiff with a PREMIUM price. The thing was built by NASA engineers...

Fit and finish isn't the only thing this boat accomplishes, I'm sure. NMZ's and pretty much any other boat that floats in 4 inches likely won't handle what this thing can, especially as comfortably.

From a guide's perspective, their job is to put their clients on fish while providing the utmost comfort in all types of conditions. That's why many have Hells Bays, ECCs, and other premium boats.

I appreciate this guy coming to our site (which is full of GREAT people) and advertising his amazing product. I can only hope to own something so pristine some day and would if I could right now. Thanks man! Keep the pics coming!

13. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

well said.. but for the money im partial on a 17 carbon kevlar hpx.. they handle chop so good and have zero hullslap

14. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

"fron the guide's perspective".... I thought that way in the years before I went full time. After more that 14 years full time your perspective changes a bit. Nowadays I just want to get through any day without breaking something.....

15. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

Amen brother. This includes boat, tackle, and myself.

16. George_Sawley

Just to set the record straight we are not out to beat anyone's draft numbers. We use computers to calculate these numbers along with having a precise laminate schedule, resin ratios a list of all components with 10 gallons of fuel for a full weight study.  Then we add two 190 passengers in the fishing position standing on the poling platform and casting platform. So far the computer has been very accurate. We did however have to decide on the dead rise and went with the 2 degrees so we could offer a tunnel down the road. 

17. George_Sawley

We can still keep the liner and center console with the SS model.

18. nate.

nate. I Love BEER!

What does the customer get for 48k? Boat, motor, trailer, side console, and what else?

19. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

The buyer gets a sweet ass boat. Have you seen one of his boats in person? The fit and finish is one of the best I have ever seen.
    Shop around for a comparable boat and the dollars add up. If they don't this isn't the boat for you.

20. George_Sawley

Should be on the water soon.