Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
will pole for food
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you saw this announcement, but for those not on FB etc....Mercury announced a 60R 15" shaft motor. We'll have to see how much she weighs. If Merc got the weight down like they did with their new V6 and V8 motors, then this thing will be a hit in the skiff/jon boat market. Yamaha where yat??

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
745 Posts
They run those on real tunnel boats in Europe. The class never took off here. Their is a push to get it going in USA as a support class at F1 boat races. The omc 2 strokes are coming up on 30 plus years old and spare parts are expensive.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
"This morning, Mercury Racing introduced the 60R, a performance outboard developed for flats boats. Mercury said a 15-inch midsection allows the engine to sit lower on the transom, improving the center of gravity for better performance and easier polling in skinny water.

“The technical skiff community can be similar to our customer,” Mercury Racing general manager Stuart Halley told Trade Only Today. “We focused on two things: great acceleration and lowering the CG." "

Mercury's website has a hells bay as the ad

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
Even the Suzuki DF60a with a 20" shaft is only 229lbs. I would strongly consider the Merc for my new build if it was even close in weight.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I believe the weight comes from the bigger gear case. Has a good gear ratio which will allow it to swing a big prop. Cool motor.

also Tohatsu released a 115. 28 lbs heavier than the Merc. So same weight as Yamaha 115 Sho I believe.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I believe the weight comes from the bigger gear case. Has a good gear ratio which will allow it to swing a big prop. Cool motor.

also Tohatsu released a 115. 28 lbs heavier than the Merc. So same weight as Yamaha 115 Sho I believe.
Mecury developed a spitfire prop for this motor. The bigger gear case isn't new. Mercury has made bigfoots for a while. Yamaha has a sho-90 already. I think Mercury was trying to answer the sho-70 before it hits the market.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts