Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been following the forum for a while now, and I figured I’d introduce myself and maybe meet some of you guys. My name is Will, and I have been living in Leland for about 3 years now. I spend a lot of time kayak fishing in the Southport area. I’m looking very seriously into getting my first skiff (and boat period). I’ve narrowed my options down to the Beavertail Mosquito and East Cape Caimen, but I’m certainly open to other options. If anyone in the area has one, I’d love to meet up and check it out in person. I don’t mind driving, and fishing in one would be a plus! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I’m pretty sure on Beavertail’s website, they have a list of guides that own their boats all over the southeast. Of coarse you’d have to pay to play, but BT would reimburse you if you built a new mosquito. However, I have no experience with any Beavertail skiff.

The Caimen, however, don’t ride in one unless you’re serious about paying for one. Unfortunately, my wife tells me I have insufficient funds at the moment, otherwise, there’d be one in my garage already.

·
Registered
464 Posts
With your choices you will be limiting yourself to just fishing protected back bays & days you can fish comfortably.
Navigating the Cape Fear River will never be fun in your choices of boats.
Technical skiffs have there place. Poling a boat is overrated here in NC.
Now a bay boat with a jack plate will allow you ocean access as well as back bays.
Look at Bay Rider Boats, 3 guides I know fish them year round.
Seahawk Charters ( Jeff & Christian Wolfe ) & Mungo Inshore Charters.....
Hope this helps.......ICM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re right. The more I thought about it and really weighed my options, I decided a bay boat is probably more suitable for my needs. I can be a lot more versatile, and like you mentioned, the cape fear is no joke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts