Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New member and recent transplant to Flagler Beach. Been poking around the site and learning tons about microskiffs and the local fishery. Recently sold my boat and on the hunt for a skiff to explore my new backyard. Looking forward to learning and participating.

·
Registered
369 Posts
We moved here to Flagler Beach almost 4 years ago. I fish mostly from a kayak near our house, typically in the backwaters between the 100 bridge and high bridge. When I take the boat out I’ll usually hit the High Bridge marsh or Tomoka basin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MAK and LT!
I've fished a couple of spots near St Augustine thus far. As soon as I find a new skiff (which is not easy right now) I'll be covering more ground.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks MAK and LT!
I've fished a couple of spots near St Augustine thus far. As soon as I find a new skiff (which is not easy right now) I'll be covering more ground.
Shallow draft if you want to fish the backwaters around here. I have a Key West 1520 that drafts about 10” and it‘s not enough for me. Plus it’s so big and heavy even though I can get it most areas at low tide it’s too big to maneuver with a pole or keep it under control in the wind even with an electric. Eventually I’ll find something smaller for my needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Incrediblyhelpful info, thank you! That's validating my though process.

I've been all over the map on boat selection but narrowing down to an East Cape Glide, BT Micro or Skimmer Skiff 16.

Thoughts? I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death on this forum 🤣

Now I just need to find the right one...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Would depend on your fishing style more than anything. How far from your launch point would you be traveling most days? Are you solo most of the time or usually with a passenger? How important is the stability? I would primarily be by myself and have good balance so lighter and narrower would be what I’m going to be going for next. I stay closer to home even if it’s putting up with fewer fish... so looking for one that can take the wake and long rides wouldn’t be a big consideration for me. If I regularly made runs down toward Ponce or up to Matanzas then I would stick with what I have.
I’m glad I went with a cheap used “interim” boat when we got here. If I had purchased what I thought I wanted at the time it would have been bigger, heavier, high HP, etc. exactly what I don’t need.

Incrediblyhelpful info, thank you! That's validating my though process.

I've been all over the map on boat selection but narrowing down to an East Cape Glide, BT Micro or Skimmer Skiff 16.

Thoughts? I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death on this forum 🤣

Now I just need to find the right one...

·
Registered
Heron w/50 hatsu
368 Posts
The skimmer skiff would be a good fit for this area. The other 2 are great options as well. Like mak said it's shallow around here. Deep channel, but goes to 1-3 ft VERY quickly.

·
Panhandler
3,477 Posts
Welcome codfish. Some fishy--and gorgeous--marsh creeks and zones in your new locale. Have fun exploring. You've already gotten some great options to consider, skiff-wise and plenty more available. Enjoy the hunt.

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,536 Posts
From St. Augustine Inlet and the North River marshes, Salt Run, Matanzas and San Sebastian River marshes,
Moultrie Creek, State Road 206 oyster flats, Matanzas Inlet, Pellicer Creek and flats, salt water canals of Palm Coast,
mangrove ponds in the State Road 100 area, High Bridge and Tomoka River and basin, it'll take a while
to learn the tides, access channels and shell bars along this portion of the Intracoastal Waterway.
Get there early, fish where it's hardest get to, watch the wading birds....they'll tell you where the bait is.
The reds, trout, snook and flounder will be nearby. Passes to the ocean can get rough but you'll find
big crevalle, tarpon, blues and mackerel feeding on the tide changes, sheepshead and snapper on the edges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts