New member from North Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by badweatherbiker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Well-Known Member

been reading posts for a few weeks and I am considering fixing up an old 15.5 foot Ashcraft my dad has for sale. I got it from a friend 12 years ago and did some patching and painting and wood lined the gunwhales and put a 70 hp mariner on it. My dad used it for a little while and sold the motor so all I have with it is boat and trailer right now. anyone else have one like it? No markings other than the Ashcraft emblem on the back and it measures out 15.5 and is a center console, I am thinking it would make a good shallow water skiff for around Keaton, Carabelle, St Marks, St George and Cape San Blas where I do most of my kayak fishing.

2. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Yes! Do it! Building or rebuilding a skiff is very rewarding, although takes 2-4 times as long as you will estimate ;)! Check out some of the posts in the bragging section, I believe there is at least one ashcraft rebuilt in the past 6 months. I say scrap it all and start with a bare hull, go tiller - you won't need a 70 to push that 15.5' boat if you build light

3. badweatherbiker

Sounds like fun, I don't have a lot of free time so it would take me forever but it would be interesting!
    I have never went that far into a boat to refurb, I have repaired holes in canoes and boats and sprayed a few with mixed results but pulling and rebuilding stringers is way out of my ability and this along with budget would be my only hold ups

4. badweatherbiker

I'm still here and still thinking about rebuilding that Ashcraft, no motor on it now but all else is good.

5. badweatherbiker

looked at it again and the top of the transom and the braces have started to rot due to delamination

6. badweatherbiker

guys I am just not sure if I have the time or cash to tackle this project. What's everyone's thought on it? Transom is bad for sure, not sure about stringers at this point and its going to need a full resto likely. I have a small amount fiberglass skills so its not really that just unsure wen it comes to the stringers and transom, and then there are the funds....I was really hoping to get it on the water so me and the wife and kids could enjoy some family time.

7. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Post some photos

8. badweatherbiker

I'll get some pics this week the boat is at my parents house right now, its a little rough but not terrible. At some point someone did some repairs on the aft stern and its pretty much flat and not smooth

9. badweatherbiker

[​IMG][/IMG]
    the 10 horse was just resting on there while the shed was getting a clean out, shaft isnt long enough

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. badweatherbiker

[​IMG][/IMG]
    transom has delamination on both sides and is soft up top but 1/4 of the way down sounds solid

11. badweatherbiker

what do you guys think? I was thinking i could extend the front deck all the way back to the point to where the live well and dry box is and make a rear deck the same height from the transom up to the console. I kind of wanted a small seat in front of the console so I could build and fiberglass it to the existing console. I am not sure if the live well and dry box should stay or not.

12. badweatherbiker

I had a 70 horse Mariner on here before when I painted it back 15 or so years ago but it only pushed it about 29 mph, it was sold several years back so it would have to be repowered

13. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

You're going to have to take the floor out of that thing. Since you're going to have to do the transom anyway just cut it all out and start over at the stringers. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

With the right amount of gumption and power tools, you should be able to have a nice boat.

14. Gatorgrizz27

Gatorgrizz27 I Love microskiff.com!

The bow looks very similar to the salt marsh 1444's everyone raves about. It's hard to see what the bottom looks like in the back from those pics. I'd chop the floor out and try to lighten the boat as much as possible, to where a 40-50 hp 2 stroke could push it ok.