New member from North Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by badweatherbiker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Active Member

been reading posts for a few weeks and I am considering fixing up an old 15.5 foot Ashcraft my dad has for sale. I got it from a friend 12 years ago and did some patching and painting and wood lined the gunwhales and put a 70 hp mariner on it. My dad used it for a little while and sold the motor so all I have with it is boat and trailer right now. anyone else have one like it? No markings other than the Ashcraft emblem on the back and it measures out 15.5 and is a center console, I am thinking it would make a good shallow water skiff for around Keaton, Carabelle, St Marks, St George and Cape San Blas where I do most of my kayak fishing.

2. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Yes! Do it! Building or rebuilding a skiff is very rewarding, although takes 2-4 times as long as you will estimate ;)! Check out some of the posts in the bragging section, I believe there is at least one ashcraft rebuilt in the past 6 months. I say scrap it all and start with a bare hull, go tiller - you won't need a 70 to push that 15.5' boat if you build light

3. badweatherbiker

Sounds like fun, I don't have a lot of free time so it would take me forever but it would be interesting!
    I have never went that far into a boat to refurb, I have repaired holes in canoes and boats and sprayed a few with mixed results but pulling and rebuilding stringers is way out of my ability and this along with budget would be my only hold ups

4. badweatherbiker

I'm still here and still thinking about rebuilding that Ashcraft, no motor on it now but all else is good.

5. badweatherbiker

looked at it again and the top of the transom and the braces have started to rot due to delamination