Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Im out of Miami, I recently downsized from a Carolina skiff J 16 to a Gheenoe Classic 2019. I impulsively made the choice to get the trailer and the hull as I have yet to power her. I decided to give it a go at one of these little boats because I wanted to try my hand at fishing the everglades, especially Flamingo. I know I am a bit more limited by weather conditions in this hull , as Flamingo can get nasty. I plan to power her with a 15 hp Yamaha soon. I was curious and wanted to pick at anyone's brain with experience on these hulls, especially a classic.
Can this hull be suitable for the everglades ?
Do I bolt the motor to the transom or just clip it ?
Any other microskiff/solo skiff models that are opposed to the gheenoes?

Thank you all very much. Looking forward to using this as a resource more than ever now.

-Tom

·
Registered
310 Posts
I run my classic with no jackplate. It is unnecessary. A grab bar gets in the way on these small gheenoes unless you are pretty skinny though if you want to stand you really gotta have it in these. The Grab bar's is one more thing to maneuver around when moving from the back of the boat to the front if you plan to fish from the front of the boat with a trolling motor. You may want a small cooler that sits right in front of the rear back seat. If you sit on the cooler this moves your weight a little bit forward which helps to plane out at lower speeds. You then need a tiller extension. You can make one with PVC or buy one. There is a guy on this site that sells pretty sweet carbon fiber ones for around $100.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run my classic with no jackplate. It is unnecessary. A grab bar gets in the way on these small gheenoes unless you are pretty skinny though if you want to stand you really gotta have it in these. The Grab bar's is one more thing to maneuver around when moving from the back of the boat to the front if you plan to fish from the front of the boat with a trolling motor. You may want a small cooler that sits right in front of the rear back seat. If you sit on the cooler this moves your weight a little bit forward which helps to plane out at lower speeds. You then need a tiller extension. You can make one with PVC or buy one. There is a guy on this site that sells pretty sweet carbon fiber ones for around $100.
Hey Seth,
Thank you so much for the input. I am definitely going to try the small cooler idea before a grab bar. The more open room on the boat the better. I always thought I would want to stand while driving, but sitting down doesn't seem all too bad.

For the tiller extension, definitely going to go the PVC route with some cross hair cuts from a Sawzall and slipping it on with a clamp/brace.

As for the Max LBS rating. of 530.
The Yamaha is 130lbs
myself am 230lbs. -------390
5gal tank 40lbs ------- 430
Open -------------------100lbs??
Has anyone, under calm conditions , ever exceeded this limit by perhaps 100lbs or so due to the weight of another husky angler? No extra gear, no big cooler, just essential fishing gear.

Its looking like after the gastric sleeve that Santa is bringing maybe I'll be able to take that fat family member fishing some trout. If not I'll have to go after petite women, I have no skinny friends:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
I’ve thrown my whole family in to run to spots to look for shark teeth and for the occasional family fishing trip. On a calm day no prob, but you get any kind of chop and The freeboard is so low you are in danger of taking on water. With a bulge pump I wouldn’t feel to scared in light chop. I definitely wouldn’t go anywhere where you might have a rough run home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve thrown my whole family in to run to spots to look for shark teeth and for the occasional family fishing trip. On a calm day no prob, but you get any kind of chop and The freeboard is so low you are in danger of taking on water. With a bulge pump I wouldn’t feel to scared in light chop. I definitely wouldn’t go anywhere where you might have a rough run home.
Awesome. I got this thing for Flamingo/solo outings but I do like to take my pops every now and then for some snapper or trout out of North Biscayne. I'd definitely stick it to the flats and go according to weather. Im at 230 pops is like 260. I'll definitely take the go pro out. Luckily I wouldn't plan on going far with the boat under that load

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the maiden voyage and finally got a feeling for the classic.

Everything Seth said was spot on. I’m at 230 on the back bench and noticed when I leaned forward a bit (even the slightest amount of shifting forward) would make this boat plane out.

I was a bit nervous as to if I had made the right decision with this boat.

The only cons I can say (I like to learn my limits fast ) was that in rough water if you go reverse or stop you have a good chance of swamping this boat. As well as standing on the back bench to pull the tiller start rope in rough water. I had a pretty ok wave come at a weird angle and break over the transom of the boat. I don’t have a electric bilge only manual, but it was fine. I will be putting a cooler infront if the back bench and I will be putting the tiller extension soon .

the next con I found in this little canoe was that it was hard to pole from the back bench with only myself in it(haven’t gotten a feel for 2ppl in the boat )I felt more comfortable standing on the middle bench and using my telescopic push pole at a shorter length

I will be spending thanksgiving in Flamingo fishing this boat on the front side. I thought I would have more control poling but in wind this boat moves around. It just makes poling the flats a bit more strategic , like looking at the flats as a slide sorta,you can only steer it’s direction as opposed to pushing against strong wind and current.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Seth,
Thank you so much for the input. I am definitely going to try the small cooler idea before a grab bar. The more open room on the boat the better. I always thought I would want to stand while driving, but sitting down doesn't seem all too bad.

For the tiller extension, definitely going to go the PVC route with some cross hair cuts from a Sawzall and slipping it on with a clamp/brace.

As for the Max LBS rating. of 530.
The Yamaha is 130lbs
myself am 230lbs. -------390
5gal tank 40lbs ------- 430
Open -------------------100lbs??
Has anyone, under calm conditions , ever exceeded this limit by perhaps 100lbs or so due to the weight of another husky angler? No extra gear, no big cooler, just essential fishing gear.

Its looking like after the gastric sleeve that Santa is bringing maybe I'll be able to take that fat family member fishing some trout. If not I'll have to go after petite women, I have no skinny friends:D
If I were you Id check out the Tahatsu motors. They are lighter weight and are doing an incredible job at being dependable. I run a LT25 with a Tohatsu 20 no jack plate, no grab bar just as clean and simple as I can get her. Depending on where you want to run the Classis will be a great rig for you. Although Whitewater on a hard north or northwest wind can beat any skiff up. Yours will make it possible to run the little known inside routes around Whitewater and keep you in calm water.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Had the maiden voyage and finally got a feeling for the classic.

Everything Seth said was spot on. I’m at 230 on the back bench and noticed when I leaned forward a bit (even the slightest amount of shifting forward) would make this boat plane out.

I was a bit nervous as to if I had made the right decision with this boat.

The only cons I can say (I like to learn my limits fast ) was that in rough water if you go reverse or stop you have a good chance of swamping this boat. As well as standing on the back bench to pull the tiller start rope in rough water. I had a pretty ok wave come at a weird angle and break over the transom of the boat. I don’t have a electric bilge only manual, but it was fine. I will be putting a cooler infront if the back bench and I will be putting the tiller extension soon .

the next con I found in this little canoe was that it was hard to pole from the back bench with only myself in it(haven’t gotten a feel for 2ppl in the boat )I felt more comfortable standing on the middle bench and using my telescopic push pole at a shorter length

I will be spending thanksgiving in Flamingo fishing this boat on the front side. I thought I would have more control poling but in wind this boat moves around. It just makes poling the flats a bit more strategic , like looking at the flats as a slide sorta,you can only steer it’s direction as opposed to pushing against strong wind and current.
Your right these boats are not traditional poling friendly. I find standing in the bow and using a shorter pole more like a kayak paddle works great on mine. From the stern these things don't want to spin at all. as for weight in the bow.. Try laying a bag of lead shot under the nose cap. It will add just enough to balance you out. Then if you have someone go with you simply take it out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If I were you Id check out the Tahatsu motors. They are lighter weight and are doing an incredible job at being dependable. I run a LT25 with a Tohatsu 20 no jack plate, no grab bar just as clean and simple as I can get her. Depending on where you want to run the Classis will be a great rig for you. Although Whitewater on a hard north or northwest wind can beat any skiff up. Yours will make it possible to run the little known inside routes around Whitewater and keep you in calm water.
Oooops sorry.. Just saw your pics and see you already have a motor.. Its a great set up what you have. Enjoy it

·
Registered
310 Posts
Water transportation Boat Vehicle Waterway River
I also stand on the center seat to pole when I am solo. Balances the boat. I agree this boat doesn’t want to spin on pole. Trolling motor is a great option This boat is so light a small trolling motor will sneak you around in 8” or so of water. I Pole when it is shallower. Stake out poles or power pole micro lock you in place for when you are fishing solo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Flatbroke426,

thanks for chiming in!
I think the lead shot bag Under the nose cap is a phenomenal idea !
as I have been trying to figure out what to rig in there thank you.

The Yamaha is about 130lbs I can see why gheenoe endorses Tohatsu, has to be because of the weight.

I’m having a blast with the 20 regardless , a 25 must be nice! But scary.
I will definitely give a shot poling it from the bow , with the kayak length/push pole, turning it from the stern ain’t as easy, like you mentionedo_O

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I definitely from an angler point of view feel more comfortable out front than in the back . I’ve seen coot bay look like a washing machine, definitely not to be taken lightly . My majority of fishing(I think/hope) is poling or trolling around the islands and bights out front, Have lunch at a chickee , that kinda stuff. Thank you for your knowledge on WWB.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vehicle Car Grass Tree Soil
I am loving this little boat. I had been porpoising pretty bad,but it was because I had put The trim pin on the highest setting.
I was absolutely just flying through some of the channels in Flamingo at dead low tide

I was conscious to not to pick up any mud but it did happen a couple times In the channel . This thing flies in some skinny water

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.