Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used J12 Carolina skiff to use on the rivers in Michigan. It has a 2008 Nissan 15hp 4 stroke outboard. With just me (250lbs) it will plane and run around 20 mph but has the typical porposing. When I add another at 170 it won't plane at all. The motor has the standard pitch prop (9.25x9). I've read some of the past posts about the smart tabs and 4 blade prop. I'm going to try the prop first, just wanted some input about staying with the same pitch or dropping down to 8 with the new 4 blade. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The issue could be as simple as the angle of the outdrive relative to the running surface of the hull. I have no idea what the optimum prop would be for that setup. You need to know what kind of rpm the prop delivers, with the outdrive angle set correctly, as a starting point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update i went to a four blade prop and down one pitch and no problem getting on plane. It did still porpoise with just me, but would settle down if i moved about 2 feet forward. Would a hydrofoil fix this or go straight to tabs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.