Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used J12 Carolina skiff to use on the rivers in Michigan. It has a 2008 Nissan 15hp 4 stroke outboard. With just me (250lbs) it will plane and run around 20 mph but has the typical porposing. When I add another at 170 it won't plane at all. The motor has the standard pitch prop (9.25x9). I've read some of the past posts about the smart tabs and 4 blade prop. I'm going to try the prop first, just wanted some input about staying with the same pitch or dropping down to 8 with the new 4 blade. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The issue could be as simple as the angle of the outdrive relative to the running surface of the hull. I have no idea what the optimum prop would be for that setup. You need to know what kind of rpm the prop delivers, with the outdrive angle set correctly, as a starting point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update i went to a four blade prop and down one pitch and no problem getting on plane. It did still porpoise with just me, but would settle down if i moved about 2 feet forward. Would a hydrofoil fix this or go straight to tabs?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Trim angle could be your issue. Are you trimmed all the way down? Also weight distribution can help by moving more weight forward. Those would be cheap options. Trim tabs are a more expensive option.

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
When you are alone put a 20-30 pound sand bag up front. Adjust weight of bags accordingly.

Where you fishing in MI?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts