Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got started around a year ago inshore fishing. I'm about as obsessive over fishing as most any hardcore angler. Just got a little tired of the same inland freshwater species. I've been fly fishing and tying since I was about 15 and that got me in to mountain trout on every vacation I could as a child. Fast forward to now and I purchased my first boat a while back. I have a Alweld 1756 Center console with a 70hp Yamaha. It is a great dual purpose boat as I still crappie and catfish a lot. I built a 26" raised deck and got a 80lb Terrova. It has done very very well for me until a point. I know my trolling motor is scaring fish of in the flats when I'm fly fishing. I thought long and hard about building a poling platform for it but it is still aluminum with a ton of hull slap.
So last month I went to south Alabama and picked up a 14'6" Delta craft skiff. I already have a 2016 15hp Yamaha to put on it. I had plans to start building some front and rear decks for it and start fishing. But thinking further in to it I believe I will build the poling platform first and see how I like it. I can TIG aluminum at home so I can make something temporary just to see how it goes. I get a lot of satisfaction out of building everything I can for my outings. If it wasn't for building my own rods I'm not sure if I ever would have started inshore fly fishing. Looking forward to being on the forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, glad to be here

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to Microskiff.com! Sounds like you'll fit right in. Like the little skiff in the pics, that should do it!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Now here is a true Southerner. Welcome Cej2525. Good to have you. We desperately needed a man with working brains.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now here is a true Southerner. Welcome Cej2525. Good to have you. We desperately needed a man with working brains.
Slow down a little! I'm sure I'll insert foot to mouth quick enough.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to Microskiff.com! Sounds like you'll fit right in. Like the little skiff in the pics, that should do it!
It's been posted on here before but it was made in Mobile by the Melech family. I fish Fowl river and the Mobile river basin a pretty decent amount. So I like that it was born next door.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
We can never have too many fluff chuckers around here. Welcome.

Start with the poling platform...you can always cast from a flat deck or put a cooler up front to stand on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We can never have too many fluff chuckers around here. Welcome.

Start with the poling platform...you can always cast from a flat deck or put a cooler up front to stand on.
I agree with casting from a flat deck or a cooler. It's just the little skiff has neither one at the moment. I'm going to pole it around with some counter weight(full 80qt Engel) up front and make sure I like it before I invest time and money in building decks for it.

Reactions: nautilott

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ur just north of me, I'm in Picayune, MS.
Not too far at all. I haven't fished the West side of the state much yet. Seems like the further you go that way the more folks are on the water. Been staying around Gautier/ Pascagoula mostly and doing well. I mostly fish the weekdays and barely run in to another person.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've seen your post on the Bull. I had the same problem with my aluminum boat. I sold it and got my East Cape. I'm on the fence about a push pole. I fish most of the time alone. My iPilot has me spoiled. Give a shout before you head south again, I live in Pascagoula. Maybe we can at least run into each other in the marsh. Pat Switzer 228-217-5072

1 - 20 of 29 Posts