Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,201 Posts
I would research what mapping software you want to use and get a compatible unit. I use the LA One card and they are available for Garmin or Simrad, I got a Garmin because I caught one on sale. I make tracks and mark points in google earth and convert to GPX files for my Garmin. On thing I do is create a "New Folder" in Google Earth in the left side panel and put all the points and tracks for one general area in that folder. Then I right click on the FOLDER and select save place as and save it to a local file as a KML. Then when I convert that to GPX it will convert everything in that folder to one GPX file that I can save to an sd card and load to my GPS. It's a lot faster and easier than converting every individual track and waypoint. I only wish they would give the GPS units a higher capacity for the number of tracks they can hold.

Reactions: coconutgroves

· Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I absolutely love my Simrad 9" EVO on my B2 primarily for its ease of use with the FMT chip. The dial minimizing capability is key. Don't know if Glenn is planning on mapping Texas coast but he has now included Louisiana.
The Florida Marine Tracks are impressive - that is the quality I am looking for, but they don't have Texas support.

· Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18'
464 Posts
I've had the Simrad Go9 and now the NSS Evo3 and I wouldn't go back to the Go9. Also the Navionics platinum plus chips are great with the satellite overlay. Not as good as the FMT chip but lightyears better than the standard "base maps" that come with the unit. I have chips for SC (southeast), Florida and LA and they are all good. I'm sure the texas chip is the same.

· Registered
2022 Evo
930 Posts
The knob on the simrad NSS is a game changer. I love my unit. I will admit the SIMRAD is not super "user friendly" for tech idiots such as myself, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. My cousin ditched his SIMRADs for some new Garmins because of how easy and intuitive they are. He hated that everthing with the SIMRAD had to be set. For some, that might be an advantage. For those that like plug and play, maybe not. Only reason I went with SIMRAD was to run FMT and oh boy am I happy with it. Only quirk I've noticed is that sometimes my tranducer (3 in 1) won't read depth either in very shallow water or sometimes randomly. The navigation and image quality however is on point.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts