Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I currently have a Garmin 546 on my skiff and have used Homeport to make waypoints, tracks, etc, but Garmin dropped support for Homeport on the Mac. I am not sure any replacement I find will also have Mac support, but I can always run a virtual machine for PC if needed.

But, my Garmin only supports basic maps. Ideally, I would like to have Google earth quality maps with more options, like contour reveal.

I don't need a fish finder or weather module on it, it is simply for mapping, navigation and scouting locations.

The Simrad Go7 looks pretty slick. But I am not sure about their mapping software, or if I should buy mapping from another company - so recommendations here are appreciated.

And one concern I had seems to be resolved - looks like you can import a Garmin file directly into the Simrad, which is awesome since I have years of data in Garmin:

Any tips are appreciated!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should note that I primarily fish the Texas coast. I've seen some high quality maps out there but they are only for LA and FL.

@Rich11111 - I do the same with Google Earth. I have primary locations, flats, cuts marked in GE, then I export that into Homeport. I then combine my tracks and points together and group them by the general location.

I am curious to try the Simrad mapping app. It is PC, iPhone and iPad, which I've never used the iPad for mapping, so curious how good the interface is.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good feedback - I could see how the touch screen only interface could be a PITA when running. I typically only zoom in and out to make sure of my path while running. I do have a Dragonfly on my center console and the zoom in / out knob is terrible - takes like 10 turns to zoom. I'll do some searching and see devices where there are both types, or at least knobs / dials / buttons.

This is going on my B2, so it will not be flush mount. I am not sure if you've ever looked underneath the side console on a B2, but there isn't a ton a room for anything else.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I absolutely love my Simrad 9" EVO on my B2 primarily for its ease of use with the FMT chip. The dial minimizing capability is key. Don't know if Glenn is planning on mapping Texas coast but he has now included Louisiana.
The Florida Marine Tracks are impressive - that is the quality I am looking for, but they don't have Texas support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts