Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

New GPS advice - considering Simrad

5367 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  jonterr
Hey all - I currently have a Garmin 546 on my skiff and have used Homeport to make waypoints, tracks, etc, but Garmin dropped support for Homeport on the Mac. I am not sure any replacement I find will also have Mac support, but I can always run a virtual machine for PC if needed.

But, my Garmin only supports basic maps. Ideally, I would like to have Google earth quality maps with more options, like contour reveal.

I don't need a fish finder or weather module on it, it is simply for mapping, navigation and scouting locations.

The Simrad Go7 looks pretty slick. But I am not sure about their mapping software, or if I should buy mapping from another company - so recommendations here are appreciated.

And one concern I had seems to be resolved - looks like you can import a Garmin file directly into the Simrad, which is awesome since I have years of data in Garmin:

Any tips are appreciated!
Reactions: saltyjones
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Chittum-LM Beavertail B2 Sold Aug 2021
373 Posts
Garmin and Simrad use GPX as the "language" for waypoints. I use a garmin presently but I've got a boat on order that will be coming with a Simrad. I Looked into this before committing to the Simrad. In the past I have created waypoints on google earth then converted the KML file (language of Google earth) to GPX then uploaded to Garmin. With the Simrad platinum plus having the satellite map capability I may not need to use google earth. I will find out in a few months. Every so often I update an SD card with GPX files to keep my waypoints as a backup for newly added waypoints in case I loose the stored GPS waypoints. Hope that makes sense. Garmin now uses basecamp app for mac.

· Registered
373 Posts
I am curious to try the Simrad mapping app. It is PC, iPhone and iPad, which I've never used the iPad for mapping, so curious how good the interface is.
EasyGPS is a FREE program that is for a PC that I've recently played with and I like. Also lately I am on the 14 day trial of Navionics app for iPhone/ipad and looks very good so far. Zooming in shows bottom details in some areas I wasn't aware of. When i first tried it I didn't have my areas the downloaded. You will need to download the map where you fish when you give it a try if you are out of wifi range.

· Registered
373 Posts
would be so kind as to post an easy to follow, step-by-step process for using Google Earth, placing waypoints, using GSBABEL to convert
Here is a Youtube instruction that helped me understand how to do it. Basically Google earth saves waypoints as KML/KMZ file and GSbabel converts to GPx file that Garmin and Simrad can read. So make (all )your waypoints on google earth then covert with GPS visualizers. You don't have to convert each waypoint individually but all as one file will all of them in file.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts