Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been skiffless for two years now since I sold the DevilRay. It was time to get into a new skiff.

I went and saw Jonathan's work on his 12' skiff and it's AMAZING. I had him build me one right away after seeing it in person. Honestly he's using top quality finishes and including molded cap and hatch with a nice deep gutter and sprayed on nonskid as a default option.

These skiffs are basically mini-whiprays! (deilvrays lol)

I just picked it up today, hull only, and will be building it up soon.

I actually took it home on the top of my jeep since I havent found a trailer yet.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jonathan does pretty work that's for sure

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jonathan does pretty work that's for sure
He did the restore of my devilray for me when I had it and I knew his fiberglass repair work was top notch - but his boat building is also great.

IMO for the price of this skiff it beats out everything in the sub-$5k market hands down and has the finishing of a $15k skiff. I'm really blown away.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,900 Posts
Welcome back to the world! I saw that redfish the other day in the same spot. He was still laughing! LOL

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Boat looks great! I have a couple of question if you don't mind:

- are there chases from the bow to the transom for things like wiring and fuel lines?
- rod tubes?
- can a fuel tank be mounted up front?
- that raised transom for the motor mount, is it an aluminum riser? And what shaft size motor will fit?
- does the front hatch have a liner? Or do you have access to everything under the front cap (I'm thinking of accessibility in order to add nav lights, a fuel cell, etc)

Thanks!

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boat looks great! I have a couple of question if you don't mind:

- are there chases from the bow to the transom for things like wiring and fuel lines?
- rod tubes?
- can a fuel tank be mounted up front?
- that raised transom for the motor mount, is it an aluminum riser? And what shaft size motor will fit?
- does the front hatch have a liner? Or do you have access to everything under the front cap (I'm thinking of accessibility in order to add nav lights, a fuel cell, etc)

Thanks!
Yes the chases for wiring from front to back on both sides come default with all skiffs I believe. Mine has them.

Rod tubes/holders are an option but I did not get them.

Yes a permament gas tank can be built in in the hatch up front and he showed me a really nice black powdercoated tank, but I also did not use this option.

Yes the metal piece on the transom is a riser which brings it up for 17" of height so you can run in basically anything without a cav plate.

The boat has no liner, it's a true old school layup skiff like the old whiprays. You have full access to add nav lights (which I will be doing) and etc

Here is his website with more info that I found: http://glasserboats.net/boats/wrightwater-12-2/

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is EXACTLY how you build a quality skiff, with good materials and great craftsmanship at an affordable price. The simplistic design and basic cored floor leads to solid build that's light on material budget, keeping costs down. Not by hiring unskilled labor
He is basically making these skiffs out the gate with the things people normally have him RE-DO on large manufacturers skiffs. When I saw it in person I really was 'wow'ed.

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am surprised he didn't make this boat 14 foot 12 seems a little small to me unless you're pond hopping or fishing sheltered water.
12 is an odd size but its a nice size IMO. It rides and handles chop like a bigger skiff. The spray rails and design of this skiff is very cool.

I think these little 12' skiffs are miles above the 'solo skiff' type skiffs and 'powered canoes' and 'chopper gun skiffs' that are out in this price range.

The way this skiff is built and finished - it's miles above all of those usual suspects in this price range - and I've owned/seen A LOT of skiffs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts