Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

New Fly BoatWorks Inboard Jet

16610 Views 355 Replies 79 Participants Last post by  Smackdaddy53
Anyone seen this in action yet? Something that’s has been discussed and applied to river running jon boats for years. But nobody has made such a serious attempt in a flats skiff till now. Definitely not a backcountry setup. But Morejohn made some good points about it being a serious tarpon skiff. I bet it handles like on rails. And from what little i have seen and heard it does. And hauls ass to boot with a Rotax 300hp rotary and a 6” draft. Holeshot 0-30 in two seconds and top speed of 60 mph per Fly.

The only real drawback would not being able to run skinny. And sucking sand/shells. Maybe pump longevity issues as well. But all speculation at this point.

What do you guys think? Anyone ready for a jet ski😂
All pics snagged from Morejohn’s IG post. But apparently they have built three complete skiffs already.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 356 Posts
Not sure why the comments around "not running skinning"?

Sir Charles William Feilden Hamilton (a New Zealander btw) invented the Hamilton jet unit in the 50's with the sole objective of running shallow as rivers and streams were the main roads in New Zealand post WWII.

This is very much the norm in NZ. I've seen jets regularly run in inches of water. The need a pool to start in. I wouldn't think they would be very efficient. You can definitely hear them coming for miles. Basically a huge water pump. And yes, the suck up gravel, sand and seagrass and spit it everywhere.

Welcome to the club.
Running skinny in rocky hard bottom rivers are fine. That’s not a problem at all. But not over soft sand, pluff mud or grass. That is a huge powerful suction pump on the bottom.
Reactions: 4
Yea, running skinny is the only reason to run a jet.
The inboard engine placement is a huge advantage for draft. Just have to shut down and pole up onto the flat. Which we probably should all be doing anyway. I think what we all need is a inboard/outdrive with a jackplate 😂

I actually saw a old racer that invented something like that a couple years ago.
Reactions: 4
I could see some dedicated tarpon guides in the keys using it potentially. Leave the dock-head across the bay-rip through some winding cuts to a bight-then shut it off and pole. Then pole out into a channel or deep cut to fire it up. But I have a passion for snook and this setup is a no go for me. Have you seen my skeg☹
Hitting the cuts at full speed to the tarpon hole😂
Mud doesn’t seem to be a problem for these guys

Reactions: 3
Don’t think this is a two stroke from the looks of it
Good point but they are usually closed up inside a jet ski. So not a problem for the motor I wouldn’t think. Maybe for everything else in there. But you can heat up a can of chili and hot dogs on the engine block for lunch
Reactions: 2
With something this different there are going to be naysayers. And for good reasons it’s unproven. They need to show how it does in real world fishing situations. Not some over hyped and over produced sales videos. Just raw footage showing why you should buy one.
Im curious about the intake placement. And how that will be affected in 2-3 footers. As in will it draw air? What effect will it have on forward drive? If it does draw air how fast does it recover? Doesn’t seem to hinder the jet skis much. But they are much lighter and smaller with the same engine.
I think a huge advantage over a jet a outboard has. Is the prop is the very last thing to leave the water. Where the jet intake is several feet forward of the transom.
With the flat running characteristic of a jet boat. Maybe non of that will matter.
Curious to see how this goes
See less See more
  • Love
When I was around Hatteras a few years ago they were running inboard jet boats on the flats. They used a powerhead off a 175 Mercury, pretty cool setup and it ran skinnnnnny.
Pretty sure several of Hinkleys line up use jet drives as well
Back to the actual thread enough of the trolling BS

This thing is bad ass and it is going to surprise a lot of you. Never seen a boat move like this. Absolutely amazing 🤩

Still not for my needs though

Haven’t seen moves like that since this duo
  • Love
The Whitehouse has them. They are tucked away between the JFK and Roswell files😂

I only shared what was already posted. Not gonna step on the builders toes. But I honestly don’t know why they are holding back on the videos. Because a lot of you will STFU when you see it in action. It really is that good 👍🏻

I only saw because I maintain contact with a inside mole😉
  • Helpful
  • Haha
No wonder you’re pissed😎
Crazy how it turns instantly and can head the other way the dude can drive a skiff.
that is what shocked me. The change of direction was insane. Had no idea a boat of any type could do that. Never even seen a jet ski do it
Reactions: 1
Good call out there. Steerage would be different for sure.
They addressed the early steering issues a while back with blades/rudders. Off power steering is pretty good nowadays. But it used to be if you were not on the gas. You had zero steering. Which lead to a lot of fatalities unfortunately. But definitely will be a learning curve for sure
Reactions: 1
I dont think this thing will have a rudder
This is what I was referring to. I know some makes come with something similar. But from what I just looked up not all do. So you are probably right about this not having any. So you better be on the gas if you need to turn hard and fast.
This is after market the ones from the manufacturers are less obtrusive than these are
See less See more
  • Helpful
This might win the award for the most entertaining thread on MS history. We've had crazy excitement, deep skepticism, drama that even Jerry Springer couldn't instigate, name calling, bad words, moderator threats, doxing (?), UFO sightings, and now whispers of impossible things all caught on video . . but the video is classified info.

Seriously, this thread is the gift that just keeps giving!
And the best part it’s just getting started😂

We need to throw in betting also on how many pages in X amount of days😂
  • Haha
Fisher just posted a "coming in hot!" clip on FB.
It’s fair game now someone post it up
  • Haha
Just saw it on MSNBC and CNN breaking news
  • Haha
I feel those kayakers way back in the creeks will be safer now. When this skiff comes blasting around the blind bend👍🏻
  • Haha
  • Love
I think this would be a good tarpon skiff. You can do donuts around a hooked poon till he gets dizzy and goes belly up for a face grab
  • Haha
I watched it a few times now. When he spins a 180 it looks as if he just throws it into reverse. With very little steering input. Is that how these Jets do when chopping off the throttle at speed? No necessarily a bad thing. Especially when you need to whoa up in a hurry. But definitely some completely different characteristics for sure to a outboard
1 - 20 of 356 Posts