Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to Harbor Freight and purchased a 2,000 lb. Electric winch to use on my boat trailer for times ill be fishing alone or when i want to dry load
Anyway how to connect to my truck for power. I've been told by 2 people that i need an 8 gauge wire coming off the battery.
So do I just run the wire under my Expedition?
Oh got the winch for $64 with a coupon

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
8 gauge is a guess as we don’t know the draw. 8 gauge is good for about 40amps give or take on an average vehicle length. It needs to be fused at truck battery. You could also just use a temp battery in back of truck or maybe a portable power pack if it is not used very often. Just saves you work and portable power or battery could be used elsewhere.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of a quick connection like the one for the trailer lights, but that wont work. I have a jump battery but there's no way to connect the alligator clips from the winch. So i guess ill get some 8 gauge wire, a fuse and some connectors
My 7 way looks like it may work it's wire is 3 times as big as the 4 prong trailer light plug
But i was told it would melt the wires in my truck

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The winch directions have a chart as to lbs. To amps. Like 1,000 lbs. Would take 11 amps

·
Registered
850 Posts
I took mine to my neighborhood mechanic...no idea how he wired it but it's connected to my car battery and comes out right next to my trailer light plug in. I had him cut the cord so I've got like a 3ft piece with a quick connect that goes into the trailer and then into my car. Works like a charm. Will take a pic later

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took mine to my neighborhood mechanic...no idea how he wired it but it's connected to my car battery and comes out right next to my trailer light plug in. I had him cut the cord so I've got like a 3ft piece with a quick connect that goes into the trailer and then into my car. Works like a charm. Will take a pic later
thanks thats exactly what i need

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,812 Posts
You probably want to get a wiring harness and perhaps a bumper wiring kit. The wiring harness for the PowerWinch trailer winches uses a 60 amp fuse at the battery, and I think either 6 gauge or 8 gauge wire. Here are a couple of links. I'm sure you can construct something like this yourself if you buy the parts separately. Make sure you use heat shrink wire connectors. Just run the wires from the battery under the frame of the truck and secure the wires with cable ties and make sure you ground the wire to the frame of the truck.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjrstKqnpziAhVQrp4KHbsjDRkQzzkISg&adurl=

https://www.anchorexpress.com/power...MIspPn852c4gIV-SCtBh0ECw7JEAQYAiABEgJUsvD_BwE

·
Registered
866 Posts
Have a friend with dump trailer. Battery sits on trailer in black plastic container(waterproof) with small solar charger on it. That works for him. If he is going to be doing a bigger job and numerous heavy dumps he will just hook battery up to plug in charger.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to get some 8 guage wire, loom, connectors. I'll have to measure my Expedition too see how much ill need

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to the hardware store purchased 25 ft. Of 8 gauge, loom wire cover 25, battery connectors and ends I can connect the alligator clips too. Spent about $50 yea could of probably got a battery

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to the hardware store purchased 25 ft. Of 8 gauge, loom wire cover 25, battery connectors and ends I can connect the alligator clips too. Spent about $50 yea could of probably got a battery
Im going to take all this stuff back and get a cheap battery. I really didn't want to run wire under my truck
The battery will last years and i can charge it before a trip
The battery will sit in the back of my truck then use the alligator clip to connect it to the winch

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took everything back but the cut 8 guage wire i had to keep
So i took off my old manual winch and put the electric on. The space to put the bolts is very small and even though I'm 5'11, 150 my hands are large. Putting the nut on the bolt was a pain. At one point the bolt got loose inside the winch. I had to take the winch apart to get it out, it wouldn't shake out. I was ready to pack it up and take it back. Finally in 95 degrees i got the nuts on the bolts, but i didnt have and open end wrench that fit. In the instructions it said it was 3/8 but when i took to Ace to get a wrench it turned out to be a 17 mm. Now there's not enough room to tighten the nut so now I've got take it all out and figure how to get the bolt in the top/ tight area so my long ninja fishing pliers my be needed to place it in there
I' m going to have to take pictures
Anyone need some 8 guage wire

1 - 20 of 31 Posts