Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

New East Cape EvoX Tunnel to TX!

23270 Views 100 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  jonny
Well it has started!!
First EvoX with a Tunnel headed to Baffin Bay area.
In an effort to run as skinny as possible I sold the VHP and started an EvoX with a tunnel. To jump up in very skinny water (10" or so) with 3 to 4 aboard I am doing a 90 instead of a 60 but this is the main concession of weight as I make very long runs to my favorite spots so I still needed a bit of speed and the torque of a 90 to jump up thin water.
Build specs:
East Cape EvoX Tunnel 'TX Edition'
Hull - Ice Blue custom tunnel
Deck - Materhorn White
Console - Materhorn White dual rod holders on each side - grab bar
Front seat - Yeti 50 in front of console custom cushion
Rub Rail - brushed solid aluminum
Casting platform - brushed aluminum enlarged with lean bar and rod welded rod holder and drink holder
Poling platform - brushed aluminum oversized with welded rod holders and lure tray
All dry storage, insulated boxes - no live well - we are lures and fly only
Trailer - Ram Lin aluminum low-profile with wheel upgrade
Rod holders - standard under gunnels + console mounted
Running gear:
Suzuki 90hp - white
Bob's 6" jack plate on raised transom
Lenco tabs - with indicators in switches
Minn Kota iPilot - 24v Terranova offset
Push pole - Stiffy Hybrid - brushed SS mounts
Power Pole - Micro-mini mounted on custom aluminum arm from poling platform
Cleats - folding flush
Electronics:
Simrad - Dual Go7 flush mounted - one for guages and one for nav
Audio - Simrad Sonichub - dual speakers under front bulkhead
Can't wait to get it, it has been a very long summer without a boat!
Pablo Text Line Drawing Design Paper
Material property Room Architecture Ceiling Plastic
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Donnie
Which motors are you considering? What are the factors you are weighing the most?
Pablo

· Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, Donnie
Which motors are you considering? What are the factors you are weighing the most?
Pablo
60 or 90 Merc's. Like most everybody I would love to stay as light as possible for the draft, maybe even go with Lithium batteries for the weight savings. But on the other hand I'd sure like to go faster for the longer runs. Just not sure I can justify only 5-6 more mph on the 90 and lose the draft That's why I want to see real world what you can run and draft with the 90.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I get it. I really considered Li Ion as well to shed another 100 or so lbs but I didn't pull the trigger on those as an additional $1500 sure seemed like a lot.
Since I don't need a live well I kinda figured I gained some of that back anyways.
I will definitely check the draft when I get it in the water.
I wanted the additional MPH but more than anything you have to have the torque to jump up in thin water with 2 or 3 passengers aboard. That was a bunch of my justification as well.
I also considered the 90 Etec (not the HO version) . My last two boats had them and they ran well. The 90 Etec is the lightest 90 you can find but I haven't had a 4 stroke and decided to give one a chance and people seem to love their Zuke 90s.

Reactions: Fritz

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a bunch of new updates as Irma put a delay on some things.
The hull got infused before the team had to prep for Irma but the deck had to wait so they could take care of folks. Would much rather people were safe and my boat take second fiddle in that scenario. I sure hate that so many fine folks were hit so hard by Irma.
Kevin sent me some hull shots right before they packed up but I am keeping these offline as it shows too much manufacturing process and I will only be showing pics that don't give away their processes.
Harvey got to take a look at it when he was out this week picking up his EvoX and I get to see it this afternoon when he arrives back in Austin. Really looking forward to seeing it and actually meeting he and his wife and family face to face after talking to him forever about selling our VHPs and building the EvoXs. Glad he got his damn boat out of my mold! Ha
Hopefully the deck is infused on Tuesday and we get to see it and the hull out of the molds late week! Exciting when they start looking like a real boat!
Pablo

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happily, can't wait to see it out of the mold.
You doing a tunnel or no?
Pablo

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,167 Posts
Yep, I get it. I really considered Li Ion as well to shed another 100 or so lbs but I didn't pull the trigger on those as an additional $1500 sure seemed like a lot.
Since I don't need a live well I kinda figured I gained some of that back anyways.
I will definitely check the draft when I get it in the water.
I wanted the additional MPH but more than anything you have to have the torque to jump up in thin water with 2 or 3 passengers aboard. That was a bunch of my justification as well.
I also considered the 90 Etec (not the HO version) . My last two boats had them and they ran well. The 90 Etec is the lightest 90 you can find but I haven't had a 4 stroke and decided to give one a chance and people seem to love their Zuke 90s.
I had a 90 eTec on my last Shallowsport and it never gave me any trouble at all. Ran strong and relatively quiet.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, hey
Hope everyone is safe from Irma.
Kevin sent me a couple of pics last night so we all know what a Tunnel Hull EvoX looks like!
This one is the hull out of the mold but the tunnel plug has not been removed :

Attachments

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And this is a great shot with the plug removed:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts