Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

New DSLR - Need Help! ASAP!

3290 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  TheAdamsProject
I decided to sell my D3000 and picked up the D3100.
Now, the pictures I take look like crap..............lol
I do the same things I did with the D3000, yet these pictures look like if I was shooting poorly in auto, when in fact I shot Manual.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm tempted to pick up another D3000 body.

Although I love how the night time pictures come out.

Anything out in the light the pictures look shitty.
Ive been told to use flash to fill in the shadows. But when I do, it looks way too bright and burned.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Thread Killer
2007 Gordon Waterman 70hp Yamaha Tiller
737 Posts
I am by no means an expert in this world, but do have some experience. From the first pic, I do not believe flash would help, object is too far away and sun is very high. The last 2 would help with flash. Are you shooting in RAW? This would allow to change the exposure. I'm a Canon guy, but I always use the histogram to judge how my photos are turning out. When I view the photo on the display I make sure that the histogram is shown along side the photo, then make changes based on the histogram. Google histogram. Also try stepping down the exposure when using flash outdoors. I also use a high quality lens with a hood for outdoor shooting. Love the black, looks good on your boat.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.