Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I have been tossing around the idea of wether or not to post on this section. But I recently took delivery of my new skiff, a 12 degree Chittum Snake Bite.

a little about me, I have had numerous skiffs in the past, from Maverick, most recently HB and now Chittum. I have also had the privilege to fish in many other brand skiffs. They all are good boats and get the job done.

But for me, I have been on the search for the ONE boat. My clientele’s request take me from the shallowest places in flamingo to ocean side for Tarpon on days that 90% of people aren’t even thinking about going fishing. I’ve had a professional and my last skiff was the Biscayne. Both did some things great and left other things to be desired.

I was skeptical at first with the claims made on the Islamorada 18. But after a long day In high winds and a low tide, fishing for bonefish in waters I would have bet we weren’t going to make it on. My Biscayne went up for sale. It wasn’t an easy decision as I had been in a HB for years. But it was necessary one.

This skiff is an absolute game changer for me. And is the nicest skiff I have ever owned. I keep all my skiffs simple yet very functional. Now for the details.

12 Degree hull
Carbon Build
70 HP Yamaha nema 2000 hook up
Raymarine Axiom 9” flush mounted
Ramlin Galvanized trailer raptor coated with breakaway tongue.
Center console with cooler seat
Black powder coat on all metal parts
Poling platform step
Large casting platform (spider cage in future)
115 style poling platform with larger tubing (wanted something different than all the others)
Staggered rod holders

DCC17829-3D9C-4D25-8E6E-5ECB541407AC.jpeg
A3E1AD73-BA1B-4490-BC15-E95AFFB8E41B.jpeg
1FB14921-81D7-48B2-B191-7B39851C02BE.jpeg
E6C1B228-C4AF-44D4-AF5B-575F3269252F.jpeg
4CC90D04-A6DA-498A-965C-967C3D0B4B06.jpeg
A9F0173D-4F34-4349-A767-4F9F2A792198.jpeg
0C3C455D-5FEC-46DE-A0FE-4A3EEFF8E436.jpeg

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
756 Posts
Pretty boat!
I was looking at the Chittum website a few days ago and really looked at the specs for the first time. I didn't realize that skiff has an 80" beam. I always assumed it had similar dimensions to the HB Professional, but it's really closer to the HB Guide. How does it pole with that much beam? If you've ever fished or poled a Guide, how does it compare? I've always thought a Guide set up right for Texas would be a killer skinny water redfish boat with the extra beam, but they don't seem to be as popular with the Texas guides as the Professional. (and now the Chittum)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Pretty boat!
I was looking at the Chittum website a few days ago and really looked at the specs for the first time. I didn't realize that skiff has an 80" beam. I always assumed it had similar dimensions to the HB Professional, but it's really closer to the HB Guide. How does it pole with that much beam? If you've ever fished or poled a Guide, how does it compare? I've always thought a Guide set up right for Texas would be a killer skinny water redfish boat with the extra beam, but they don't seem to be as popular with the Texas guides as the Professional. (and now the Chittum)
Hey @Tx_Whipray , the Chittum 18s in both 12 and 2 degrees pole exceptionally well. The 80” beam has a lot to do with deck overhang and the spray rails. I believe the Chittum 18 has the same beam at waterline on the transom as the HB Profesional, and the HPX. The Chittum 18’s light weight build, very even balance and straight transom (no sponsons!) make it pole well. Also the Chittum 18 has a long sloping bow entry which means it’s really a 16 foot long boat at the waterline, again lending to pole ability. The spray rails have another function besides keeping the boat dry, they provide a lot of lift in rough seas.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty boat!
The 80” beam is the cap beam. The water line beam is less. I have poled several guides. The chittum is much easier to pole, it’s extremely agile and feels light when pushing. The wide deck gives it plenty of room.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Beautiful boat. I was skeptical also about how much better a Chittum would actually be until I got on one and really got to see what it could do. Stephen Ford's demo boat, he is the TX Chittum rep in Rockport. We were running around in a non-tunnel boat where I would have most likely not gone in a tunnel boat, let alone a non-tunnel boat.

About all I can say is, "If you really dont want to spend this kind of money on a boat, better not even go out on a Chittum". Because very likely money is gonna get spent.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very true. That’s what I’ve told a couple of my buddies.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Beautiful!

You said it was 50% carbon? Is the rest fiberglass or Sglass or Kevlar? Do you know where they used the carbon?

I had a demo ride on a similar 12 degree with that motor, I was really impressed.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Beautiful!

You said it was 50% carbon? Is the rest fiberglass or Sglass or Kevlar? Do you know where they used the carbon?

I had a demo ride on a similar 12 degree with that motor, I was really impressed.
Carbon is used for the transom, liner, deck, console, hatches and other parts of the hull (stringers I believe)

they use some special kind of glass elsewhere. Not sure what kind, but it’s light and tough as nails.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats Capt Awesome looking boat. What do you feel the Chittum does that the professional did not? Or what is the biggest differentiator. thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats Capt Awesome looking boat. What do you feel the Chittum does that the professional did not? Or what is the biggest differentiator. thanks
well I’ll say this, ive fished in places I haven’t fished in years ( since I had my professional) and my boat has 12 degrees of deadrise. The chittum is better riding, drier, and lighter on the pole compared to my other skiffs. My big thing was, shallow draft and a skiff that wouldn’t take them over the bow all day long on the ocean during tarpon season.

the pro was a good boat, just didn’t check off all the boxes for me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts