*New Boat* Pelican Flats Boats Fly17

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by Pelican, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Pelican

Pelican I Love microskiff.com!

Pelican Flats Boats introduces the Fly17. Check out our website at Pelicanflatsboats.com
    We are making two versions of this 17' Flats boat. We have the Fly17 & the Flats17. We have been very pleased with the results of of the Fly17 and hope to continue our success at the birth of the Flats17. We are still in the mold stages of the Flats17 (We will post more photos as we progress with this). Please give me your opinions and thoughts on our newly designed boat.

2. Pelican

Interior Cockpit... (PS-Sorry for the low res photos, we will have some much better ones shortly)

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

That hull reminds me of the old Mako 17 Angler.

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Mixed with a 17 key west. Which i like. Its hard to go wrong if you go with a tried and true timeless design. I like it. Looks like a great boat with some good build techniques, like the ceramic transom. Thats as good as it gets. Remember this is a "flats"boat, not a technical poling skiff.

5. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Btw, are you using Seacast, or Nidabond? How do you like working with it?

6. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

I agree. Great riding hull. Couple questions. Is the cockpit self bailing? It looks like you have enough room. How are the nav lights? The look like they are at an odd angle in these pics, maybe pointing down at the water? How does the front hatch open? It looks like it opens upwards. Is there a spring to hold it open and how is it attached?

-Richard

7. skinny_water

...one more. How many rod holders and there length? Can't really see in the pics.

8. Pelican

The boat is actually only 58" wide where the transom meets the water.  Then there is a drastic flair from there to take it to 71" (rubrail to rubrail).  The keel is pretty aggressive at the entry and comes back to about the console, where it flattens out into a flat bottom.  To combat sliding, we added to strakes that doubled as great inhibitors for poling in a strait line.  We also have an "offset" (modified tunnel) so our motors can be raised about 3 1/4" higher than boats without them.  See photo

9. Pelican

I have tried both... they are both great. I think we are sticking with Seacast, though. It is such an efficient process. Not to mention, the stuff is as dense as concrete, and it actually floats.

10. Pelican

The photo does look like an old Mako, however our boat is much narrower. Yes, the boat is self-bailing. You can get a better view of the nav lights in the other picture, let me know if you have more questions about this after you see the picture. There is not hatch in our Fly17 model, it is a cut out with a canvas snap to hold your belongings in place.

11. Pelican

The under gunwale rod storage will accommodate (4) fishing rods at 10' long. Set for fly gear.

12. skinny_water

13. nate.

nate. I Love BEER!

that front deck looks tiny. id bring it back 2' at least.

14. Pelican

The front deck is 5' Long on this model, but on our Flats17, it will be 6'. That hasn't come up as an issue for anyone yet, but I appreciate your input.

15. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Nice clean lines. Reminds me of a boat from the 90s. As Nate stated, the deck looks small. But that could just be the angle of the photo. I'm liking that flair upfront. What's the cost range going to be?

16. tntwill

tntwill Hooking Lips is my life

miniature seacraft love the walk around sides nice boat. where you out of? [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]

17. John_Rosende

John_Rosende I Love microskiff.com!

The boat looks awesome! Is it fast? Does it loat shallow?

18. Pelican

The deck is 5' long. Plenty of space, typically. I will attach another photo in a moment to show the front deck a little better. The Fly17 is going to be 18-22k BMT where our flats version will be 25-28k BMT.

19. Pelican

Thanks for your kind words! We are based out of Old Port Tampa.

20. Pelican

Hopefully this helps with proportions.