Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a second 7wt to go with my Axiom 2X. I've been using it with Airflo Coldwater Int 8wt line and its super smooth at 50-70' but is lacking in feel at under 50. Its not bad, but I'd like to get something with close to the same action that does a little better at 50 and under. I mostly throw Galloup style streamers 2-6". Ive been looking at a Recon, Loomis IMX Pro, and Streamer X. I have a Gen 1 Recon in 6wt and really like it, but I've read that they changed it with the Gen 2. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for a second 7wt to go with my Axiom 2X. I've been using it with Airflo Coldwater Int 8wt line and its super smooth at 50-70' but is lacking in feel at under 50. Its not bad, but I'd like to get something with close to the same action that does a little better at 50 and under. I mostly throw Galloup style streamers 2-6". Ive been looking at a Recon, Loomis IMX Pro, and Streamer X. I have a Gen 1 Recon in 6wt and really like it, but I've read that they changed it with the Gen 2. Any suggestions?
Also yes I’ve heard the gen 1 recons are better

·
Registered
2019 Ankona ShadowCast 16
582 Posts
I generally fish a 7wt Axiom II-X. I picked up and cast an imx pro 7wt the other day......it was awesome. Great short range feel, I was using an SA redfish line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I generally fish a 7wt Axiom II-X. I picked up and cast an imx pro 7wt the other day......it was awesome. Great short range feel, I was using an SA redfish line.
Did you find the IMX was as fast as the A2X ? I really want to cast one of those. From what I've read it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2019 Ankona ShadowCast 16
582 Posts
It's a little hard to explain. IMX was lighter, wasnt quite as fast but had the same or more power out to distance combined with accuracy. Short range it was really responsive and allowed for you to easily open the loop while lowering the tip like you would for a short shot on spooky fish. It just felt like a more capable rod overall. My favorite rod I own is a 7wt CC pro-1, IMX rod is pretty comparable at close range but had more @$$ at distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool..That really does sound exactly what I'm after. I do a lot of blind casting so depending on the shoreline I could be going from 40' to 75' down to 30' within a short distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to cast the Zone and its ok. I also cast a Sage Maverick and I was really surprised. It had great feel at 30-50' but was very capable out to 75'. My shots are never that far but it's nice to know the rod can handle that. So it looks like I'm down to the IMX Pro, Maverick, and Recon 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was able to cast the Zone and its ok. I also cast a Sage Maverick and I was really surprised. It had great feel at 30-50' but was very capable out to 75'. My shots are never that far but it's nice to know the rod can handle that. So it looks like I'm down to the IMX Pro, Maverick, and Recon 2.
I own a maverick and its one of my favorite rods ever. One thing not mentioned about it is the larger cork which I dig. Its not much larger but it feels great and I dont have large hands

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own a maverick and its one of my favorite rods ever. One thing not mentioned about it is the larger cork which I dig. Its not much larger but it feels great and I dont have large hands
Yea I agree I like the larger grip too.

I cast the Recon today and its actually felt stiffer than the A2X which was surprising. It casted great but its not what I'm looking for. I thought for sure it would have been softer than the A2X. So I'm down to the IMX, Maverick, and the Zone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea I agree I like the larger grip too.

I cast the Recon today and its actually felt stiffer than the A2X which was surprising. It casted great but its not what I'm looking for. I thought for sure it would have been softer than the A2X. So I'm down to the IMX, Maverick, and the Zone.
I assume Recon2? I’d heard it was stiffer than gen1, and most of the folks I know have preferred 2 over 1. Sounds like you’re looking for something a little softer & shorter range- definitely check out the maverick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume Recon2? I’d heard it was stiffer than gen1, and most of the folks I know have preferred 2 over 1. Sounds like you’re looking for something a little softer & shorter range- definitely check out the maverick.
Yea the Recon 2. I was really surprised at how stiff it was. I've been doing a ton of research (probably too much) and the 2 models I keep coming back to is the Maverick and the Payload.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts