new 20 year old boat

Discussion in 'Big Boat Bragging Spot' started by devrep, Aug 20, 2013.

1. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

bought this today, picking up Friday sans motor (was beat). Now the work begins. Looking for a late model immaculate Yamaha 90 2 stroke.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

3M Imperial Compound for the paint...will shine it right back to its original glory! A little tip I got from Ducknut and paint it black on this forum...

For the deck and floor, Bar Keepers Friend.

Then, rewire that beast, find yourself a motor, then invite me to go fishing :D

Nice work man! Congrats!

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

That's purty Dev! What hull is that?

What's your budget for the motor? Kind of got a possible "horse trade" thing going on with a 90 Yammy.

4. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I got 3m heavy duty compound and Finesse-it finishing compound. think that is too abrasive? I also got a can of Collonite Fleet Wax.

5. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

Silver King signature 16. What year is the 90 you are horse trading for?

6. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

so... am I screwing up if I lay this thing on the grass, lean it on one side, compound, buff and wax and then lean it on the other side to do the same? I don't see how I could do a very good job with the hull on the trailer.

7. Gramps

Those hulls are great, fished with a guide out of St. Pete a few times in one, loved it!

Sent ya a PM on the motor. It's a '99.

8. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

thanks. I'm looking for as new as I can find, 07-08. Or a super clean 03 up. There are a couple out there but they want 6K. I would pay 3500-4500 for the right one if it's very low hour.

9. rkmurphy

The Imperial Compound is more abrasive to my knowledge but the grit gets finer as you buff. I've used the heavy duty compound and it doesn't work as well, in my opinion.

10. rkmurphy

Can you just flip it on the trailer with a couple of buds since you have no motor on it yet?

11. Gramps

You'll just need to pull the boat off the rear of the trailer a bit and support it, once finished winch it back on.  Credit for the following goes to some guys on THT.

" Line the boat up with a tree or something to tie a rope around (you can use a trailer hitch from another car) and tie to both stern eye cleats. You then will be pulling the trailer out from under the boat with the car or truck. ... take wood blocking/jack stands and stack them to the height of the rear chines at the back of the boat. Put carpet on them and slowly pull the trailer out from under the boat. Have someone block the boat on the side about midship with the same supports and also under the middle once the trailer gets over 50% out from the boat. Once the trailer clears the 50% mark of the hull, most of the weight is on the rear blocks and the block under the centerline of the hull. The outside blocks just help stablize the hull."

12. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

yikes. I'm picturing myself laying under that. :)

13. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

a safer way is to use a floor jack and jack up the rear and put it on jack stands - one on each side. Then move to the front and jack it up and pull the trailer by hand until you run out of room from the trailer cross members. Support it and then repeat until it is free.

Or pay the marina where it sits a few buck for them to do it and the rental of the space it sits in and get the job done quickly and get on the water.

14. Gramps

[smiley=1-headache.gif] The boat never leaves the trailer? Are you talking about compounding the bottom of the hull too or just the sides? I don't think there is any need to compound the bottom or remove the trailer completely.

If you are going to remove it from the trailer - Ducknut's way is easier. Oh and remember jack stands are marine jack stands with the proper support pads. Not automotive jack stands! ;D

15. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

yes, I want to polish and wax the bottom also. think I'll try just laying under the trailer and working between the cross members, then move the boat back a couple of feet and hit where the cross members were. we'll see how it works.

16. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a 90 for this boat but I'm tempted by a very clean 08 115 etec I found. I googled and did a lot of reading on this motor and there are a lot of posts online about computer and injector failures on the etecs. Is this a valid concern on an etec motor with no warranty left?